Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

do you know what's great about shiftwork?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by mjt57, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Shiftwork lets you go for rides when everyone else is at work.

Mate rings me this morning. Wanna go for a ride? Yeah, why not. So, a leisurely run up to Walhalla for lunch, then back to the local golf club to meet with some mates. Later on, we rode to the local airport where the mate's old man has a Jabiru ultralight. So, went for a squirt in that too.

If I could do this stuff every day, I would have to suggest that this would be as close to heaven that one could expect it to be (unless it really is all about praying and stuff, in which case it'd be a miserable place...)
  2. It's good to see that you have taken this approach to it. I have a mate that does shift work and he hates it because he never gets to see anyone and as such he rarely does anything.
  3. ... and when you live in a place like Sydney, the greatest thing about shiftwork is that you often manage to avoid peak hour traffic, or with a bit of luck, even if you are on the road, you're going in the opposite direction. Heading towards the city when everyone is heading out to the 'burbs, and vice versa...

But all the same, shift work still sucks. It ruins your natural body rhythm, and when you're driving/riding home after working the night, your reaction time and thinking processes are apparently just as impaired as someone with 0.05% of alcohol in their blood... in other words, you probably shouldn't be on the road at all.
  4. So you ride during the day when you should be home
    sleeping after working all night?

Thank God for louie eh :LOL:

But it'll catch up with you sooner or later.. [​IMG]
  5. i just got my jab endorsement the other day. fantastic little planes. going to fly one down to hobart in a few weeks to see relatives. Great fun pieces of machinery.
    sounds like you had a pretty fun day ma man!
  6. When I was working shift work I didn't have a bike...I really should have. It has it's ups and downs though, I had less of a life then than I do now on the 8-5.
  7. :WStupid:, unfortunately :cry:
  8. Not sure about that MG; I know a lot of shift-workers in the Wollongong area who ride, fish, shop and all manner of things when we think they should be sleeping, and have been doing it without apparent harm for years.

{Of course, some of them have jobs where they sleep when they are at work :LOL:}.
  9. Do we have an emoticon for "check your facts before opening your mouth?" We probably should... anyway, here's some light reading for you:

http://www.sleepoz.org.au/files/fact_sheets/AT08 - Shift Work.pdf

And what it all boils down to is this:

"Slower reaction times – fatigue affects your ability to react quickly in the same way that alcohol does. In fact, being awake for 17 hours has the same affect on your driving ability as having a blood alcohol concentration of 0.05 Source: "Fatigue the hidden killer", prepared by RoadSafe Victoria."
  10. It depends on the shift pattern that you work. I work 12hr shifts, 7 to 7. Two days, two nights 5 off (works out to 38hrs/week over a roster cycle). So, we tend to get over it pretty quick. Eg. I finished N/S on Sunday morning. I got 4hrs sleep then up at noon. In bed around 10 last night, totally knackered, then the mate rings me at around 9am which woke me up.

As for fatigue, etc. I usually don't ride to work on nightshifts. I am not up for the ride home if I've done it hard that night. Easier to drive.
  11. I got a night shift starting at 2230 tonight. In the morning I can just say stuff it and shoot off up to reefton for a few laps, wave at Raph's cafe from a distance and be home by lunch time for a few hours sleep before needing to go and grab the little chick from school :grin:
  12. I used to work eight day rotations - four days on, four days off - always the same hours, so sleep deprivation was never an issue.

Man, four day weekends, while everyone else is at work, is the best thing in the world! :grin:

Unfortunately, I'm back to Mon - Fri now. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.
  13. I work shift too 2 Days/2nights/4off and love it. I love being able to ride during the day when everyone is at work and just doing my own thing. It does suck not having a social life, but I'm married with a kid so I gues that doesn't matter much :LOL:
    As for the lack of sleep it cna get a bit dicey when I'm not feeling well, but I never ride on a nightshift. I have enough trouble on 4 wheels let alone 2 going home in the morning. Another negative is that my life has been shortened by the last 10yrs of shifts, but I've spent a huge amount of time with my son so that's a positive I guess!
  14. My Army shift was a seven day fortnight; Mon-Tue on, Wed-Thur off, Fri-Sat-Sun on, Mon-Tue off, Wed-Thur on, Fri-Sat-Sun off.

Day started at 5:30 and finished at 7:00pm.

Got to ride the Ten Mile a lot!!!
  15. Damn right, I work from 2200-0600, get up 1200 or 1300ish and enjoy sunny afternoon rides. :cool:
  16. I was agreeing with you genius.
  17. Ah... very meta of you... lucky I posted the polite version of my reply then! :)
  18. Sounds like my roster for the last 17 years. It can be pretty good, but unfortunately most of my riding mates are in the 9-5 category and are only available on weekends. Makes it hard sometimes. I like riding by myself, but not all the time. With both kids at school, it does give the wife and I time for midweek rides, romantic lunches and "afternoon delights".
    The only downside of shift work is driving up the street on a Saturday night heading for work whilst all the neighbours are out on the driveway sucking on a cold stubby and thinking about firing up the barbie. :cry:

+1. I'm always worried I'll put up at a set of lights, forget to put my foot down and topple over onto the roadway where I'll probably just drift off to sleep with the bike on top of me. :)
  19. I've been working 12hr shifts since 1987. Prior to that, we worked 3.x7 shifts. I started shiftwork in 81.

That can be a problem, I s'pose. But as our roster has it so we work 2 weekends out of 3 or 4, or half weekends, I usually can work around stuff. If the social event is important enough I can usually get the shift off on rec. leave or time in lieu.

That's never been a problem for me. I've never been that tired that I'd fall asleep on a bike. But concentration does lapse and I've found myself riding such that I had difficulty in judging a corner, or braking distance or whatever. So, it's easier to simply drive on nightshifts.
  20. I started night sorting for Australia Post October last year as my 2nd job. I was so tired that it would have been too dangerous for me to ride (especially being an L plater). While the 2nd job was great as it gave me some extra money to buy safety gear and bike lessons. I was really craving for sleep time. When my main job went on holidays over Xmas, then I started to enjoy the benefits of having daylights hours to myself.

That's when my bike riding improved. I did started riding to Australia Post once I 'sort of' got use to the night hours (12am or 2am start to 8:30am finish, or 9:30am, or 10:30am depending on how busy we were). It sucked driving home during peak hour. Riding home wasn't much better.

It was great to see the other posties look at my bike. I even had one of them look at me the day before my P's test. They had heaps of knowledge about bikes. The management wanted me to become a postie as well but it clashed with my other job.

I really got sick of the lack of sleep and I felt two jobs was too much, so I quit My main job got busy and deserved priority. My dad needed a major operation. So I quit the my night shift during March this year. My body clock took so long to adjust back to "normal" hours.

I rode to my night shift every now and then. Since I was a learner, I really needed to be alert but at times I succumbed to the temptation to ride whilst suffering fatigue. Thankfully I got home without any incidents. If I had a hard day in my main job and I expected a hard night at Aus Post, then it was safer for me to drive.