Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do you know what to do at an accident scene?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by nalasrob, May 9, 2006.

1. There's a bike laying mangled on the ground as you come around the next bend, a rider laying prone nearby. Your the first on the scene...you approach the rider, torn jacket, scratched helmet, one leg at an odd angle...what do you do?

It's not a pretty thing to confront, but a good number of us will have this situation presented to us at some point. Would you know the right course of action...could you save the riders life or would you endanger it with your actions.

It was an idea I saw at another motorcycling web site...a St Johns instructed first aid course for motorcyclists. Some info for at http://www.stjohn.org.au/quick_pdfs/emerhandling.pdf for those that want a quick refresher.

So my idea was how about a netrider first aid session. If the interest is sufficient, a small fee to sponsor an agent to present to a group, make first aid kits available to members etc...

So lets just start with some feedback to the idea and see if we can get the momentum rolling.

Rob.

2. I'd be interested, especially in an accreditied course. :)

3. Yeah id be interested.

4. All ready booked to do a refresher, I highly recommend doing a first aid course, and fingers crossed that you never have to use it.

5. yeah I would be interested, have done StJohns etc before but a motorcyle specific one would be ace.

6. That's basically what we did with Kerry (Sen Ney) out at Dandenong MRA HQ a couple months ago. It cost $85 and we came away with a first aid qualification after doing a course that drew on level one and two first aid to be as appropriate as possible for motorcyclists.

I thoroughly recommend it.

Talk to Sen Ney about setting up another event, the first was a success and there'd probably be enough interest to fill another one.

7. yep worthwhile doing... can't remember the name of the place i did mine but it was through the cfa, they also train the public, and during the course the instructor actually setup a a few different scenes which we acted out, some were car crashes.... hit and runs etc... was really good, as almost everything that you will encounter in a real situation from strange people walking where they have been the cause of the issue, or just wanting a look/getting in the way (remember you have to deal with the sight seer's too) the position the person is in (is it dangerous to yourself), or other victims just in shock, all apearing from different places at different times.

It really was a wake up for me, to see just how many variables can come into play at just one accident.

8. I'm waiting for a response from St Johns. Will advise when I have details of what they have to offer.

Rob.

9. Heres a link to the thread of the last one held earlier in the year in melbourne
    might have some details for you Netrider Thread

There was also one being organised by MCCNSW in NSW

10. I found that lying on the ground and trying not to move till somebody stopped was best.

But if I was first there i would only hope that nurse Lil was right behind me.
    Worth doing a course though,

11. A past below of some info:
    Summary about $85+, 7 hours need 12 or more people.

I'm in for number 1....let me know. When I get to 12 I'll set a date. At least 4 weeks away, probably 6.

====================
    Basic Life Support (Level I) 7 hours Duration

* This course can be tailored around motorcycle accidents.

Practical scenarios, practical assessments, no formal or written examinations. All participants must complete the entire course to be eligible for competency.

Basic Life Support is an introductory course to initial basic life support including airway, respiratory and circulatory system management (inc. resuscitation), and Medical Emergencies including Asthma and heart conditions, management of blood loss, amputations, and shock. Legal responsibilities as a First Aider and procedures of calling for emergency services.

This course is nationally recognized throughout Australia and is also included in Senior First Aid (Level II).

Structural Options: 2 x 3:45 hour sessions or 1 x 8 hour session (including tea & lunch breaks)

St John Ambulance requires a minimum of 12 participants in each class for Basic Life Support (Level I). Training must not exceed the total of 24 participants. Starting at $85 per participant.

12. Put me down for two people as I reckon it would be a very good thing to know so it will be me and my brother just let me know when you need payment and such.

Do they teach you how to take a helmet off safely?

13. I did that first aid course with Loz. Well worth it.... the first aid course that is, not the fact that I did it with Loz... :) lol. That's not to say Loz isn't a nice feller?!?!! LOL

Yes they showed us how to safely take off a helmet from a downed rider... technically a two person job.

The course was comprehensive and they showed us a lot of stuff, unfortunately, I need to review my notes to get it all refreshed in my mind...

The general gist is this: Call 000. Then do D.R.A.B.C, then do your best to keep the hurt person conscious, comfortable and alive while help comes.

Don't forget to call for help!

Seriously, a first aid course should be considered part of your riding gear kit.

Cheers

Rob

14. surely this? ......... :tantrum:

15. 000 and pray for reception...

16. Hey Rob you can put me down... I might have another 2 guys (not yet netrider members) that may also be interested...

but for now I'm a definite!!

17. If there's no reception, try dialling 112 - it's the network-independant and global emergancy number and will route you to the closest centre.

18. 112? I was under the impression that coverage blackout on mobiles was just that no service on any network ever.

Riding here in tas there are alot of blackholes... and guy's when you having a blast and dissapear off an edge on the A10 or Cradel mountain road somewhere they may never find you. :shock:

19. I think that's why 112 was implemented - if you can get any connection to any mobile service carrier, you can get service on any phone.

It won't help in total blackspots, and yeah coverage is pretty shambolic in Tassie, but it definately increases your odds. Worth knowing about.

I was surprised to learn about it - surely it should be advertised as a public service? The difference between knowing 112 and not knowing it could be life and death in some cases.

20. I thought 112 was the standard emergency number to call from a mobile phone :?