Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do you keep your loved ones informed when you're on the road?

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by rc36, Apr 16, 2010.

1. My question is prompted by a small article in the latest AMCN.

"Biker found three years after crash"

Three years after he was reported missing, the remains of a Sydney-based motorcyclist were found on the side of the Putty Road, north west of Sydney.

The skeletal remains were found next to a Triumph motorcycle along the Mellong Plateau between Colo Heights and the Putty township..

The motorcycle was allegedly last registered to a Quakers Hill man in Sydney's north west."

I found this news item appallingly sad and it prompted me to ask, do you keep your loved ones informed of your whereabouts when you're on the road?

I know I do. Whether it's just a day trip or a longer tour, I tell my wife my approximate itinerary and I check in with her by phone in the morning and the evening of each day I'm on the road.

When you're trekking in the outback they always recommend that you do this and I can't see why it isn't good advice when you go out on the bike, too, even if you're just doing a day run.

Commiserations to this man's family. I can't even begin to think what they have gone through in the last three years.

2. I give a general Idea, and I carry 2 mobile phones, my Normal 1 and a backup phone connected to a different service provider. Both are in easy reach, one on me and the other in my back pack. This is assuming, of course that 1 will survive what they other may not, and 1 might have service when the other may not. Vodaphone have a 12 month prepay option where your credit lasts for 12 months. Nice cheap insurance, but not perfect either.

Giving the general route may not be perfect, but it gives people a general place to start looking for you.

The unfortunate thing is we don't know what time of the day this rider was on the putty. If your doing a night run of somewhere generally safe, but sparsely populated at night then giving a more exact route would probably be best, and inviting a mate along would be damn beneficial as well.

If you have an Iphone(or similar) you can always give a relative access to your "Find stolen phone thingo" and hope your not out of coverage.

edit:: of course you don't need a sim either .... i.e.
    http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/im-lost-in-a-drain-mans-call-for-help-20100416-si6m.html

3. Good points. Yes, the Putty at night can be a very lonely place; I've experienced that many times over the years.

4. That story is mental! I should really tell people when I go for a ride. I'm pretty bad when it comes to that..

5.  Top
  6. yeah I do.

7. the track progress function is the only one that would help when things go really bad. Hard to press buttons when you're paralysed or dead.

8. lol it wont be much good to you if your dead either way lilley!

9. generally before i had a SWMO no, i just go, now yep, well she knows the rough area i am heading off too if i am with a group...if i am by myself, then yes and basically if i am not back by said time come looking for me cos something has happened.

If i am riding at night (through the country area's) i keep both phone and wallet in jacket pocket instead of on the bike, in case i come separated from the bike in accident (ie roo etc) and need help

But there is a thrill to riding solo at dangerous times when nobody knows where you are and your phone is flat (y)

10. 70% of the time I don't really know where I'm going till about 5 minutes into the trip, after I've made my mind up on where to go.

11. I heard a story a while ago, a bloke come off going down Brown Mountain. Separated from his bike, two broken legs, down a gully out of sight from the road.

He managed to find a coke can, scrapped the paint off so it caught the light and stuck it on the end of a stick and waved it about. He was there (and in agony) for a long, long time - Apparently a farmer in the valley was on his tractor, saw the flash of light moving from side to side and wondered what it was.

12. bloody hell, thats tragic

13. Yeah, that's the biggest concern, if you come off and are out of sight, out of phone range, still conscious but too broken to make it back to the road side.

It does also highlight an important riding "skill" though, especially if you're riding alone, and that is to "never give up" when you think you're going too hot into a corner. Keeping leaning the bike over, lean it until the tyres give out and you low side. If you low side, you'll slow down a lot before leaving the road, reducing the chances of serious injury, and also more importantly, leave a very visible crash trail leading off the road as an obvious indicator of where you are and what happened. The presence of road scarring and freshly skuffed dirt on the road side will tell anyone with half-brain that the scene is recent, and there's possibly someone still there.

While the average city driver has complete shit for brains and wouldn't know a crash site if it got up and bit them, out in the remote country drivers tend to be a little more aware and look out for each other, and someone will likely stop to investigate what could be a potentially live crash scene.

A lot more difficult though if it's raining, but you'd have to ask yourself what the heck were you thinking charging hard and fast into corners on wet roads with no one looking out for you.

To answer the OP though, I typically send my wife a text every 2 hours or so when out on full-day rides, and give her a rough itinerary.

14. I do too, but she usually just responds 'whatever', oh and 'is your insurance up to date' :LOL:

15. It's nice to be so valued, eh :LOL:???

I always tell her that I'm going, and contact her a couple of times during the day, because I'm not always 'set' on my route either, as posted above. If I think I'm going to be later than planned, then definitely. That said, she used to be a rider too, andshe knows how a trip can 'expand' to fill more hours than expected.

As for the poor man on the Putty, I learned to ride on that road, and rode it often at night, in all sorts of conditions, but there are just so many things that could go wrong there, I avoid riding it at night at all costs nowdays. I can't begin to imagine how the poor family must feel.

16. How very Bat Out of Hell...

17. They look great...assuming it works as advertised.

The last time I road the Putty at night was a few years ago on a weekday at about 9:00pm in winter and I didn't see a single vehicle for it's entire length. I was quite surprised it was that quiet.

18. A lot of the roads I ride on, If you go over the side, You can be airborne for a long way down, You or your bike cant be seen from the road above, You will probably die from the fall from the height more than get hurt from running over the edge, You might not even leave a mark on the road where you went over,
    Putty road, Reefton Spur, Ridge road, Whitfield Road, Icy Creek Road, To name a few,
    If no one actually sees you go over, Your history, You might be buried under the ferns and other scrub, If your still alive, then your only help is the phone if its in range and working, But then you will have to give instructions so they know where to search,
    The road is 60 klms long, I ran off some where in the middle, I am under neath a big pile of tree ferns and cant move, I am impaled on a tree branch. The road is 200 feet above me, Thats a lot of searching if they know your there, If they dont know your there, You will probably stay there,
    At least riding in a group, they know your missing, and you are between Point A when they last saw you and where they are standing now, At least you have a very good chance of being found Quickly,
    Cheers,
    Brian,

19. When I was a kid my parents didn't really care what time I got home, or if I stayed out all night, so long as they knew where I was and approximately what time/day I'd be home. Their theory being that they then knew when to start worrying, and where to start looking. It must be remembered that this was before mobile phones where even thought of.

Because of this and assuming my wife isn't on the ride with me, I will send her a quick text at every stop. Just something simple like "In Tumba". I'll also send her a text if I change my mind about where I'm going. It lets her know when to start worrying and where to the police/Ambo's should start looking.

20. anywhere were the cell tower your phone is connected too on the road your travelling.