Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do You HomeBrew????

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by RainMann, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Do you home brew? I love it. I make batch after batch after batch .... It should be illegal. You see I have very thirsty mates

On to 4th batch this year.
    It costs about $15-20 per batch and I usually get about 30 800ml longnecks out of it.

This year’s batch consists of;

Brewcraft WheatBier (all gone)
    Brewcraft Czech Pilsner (almost all gone)
    Cascade Porter (in storage)
    Cascade Draught (currently fermenting)

Make average brews from basic supermarket ingredients, and premium brews from "Brewcraft" in Heidelberg.

My dad always seems to visit me when I make a new batch. He taught me how to make it when I was a boozing teenager, and now I've perfected the craft and make them for him.

Last year when I used to live in a sharehouse full of international students, they used to call me beerman, and I’d leave a notice on my door with types and prices, only at cost value though coz I just enjoy making it.
  2. My mate and I make home made Mead. darn nice stuff too

no brand label attached... just honey from a local beekeeper, water from his tanks, apples from a local orchard and lots of spices from the market.

and some yeast to make it "work"

takes about 6-8 weeks for the magic to happen.
  3. Perhaps....but do you know Uno?
  4. Just bottled a kilkenny last night.

I also had about 11 slabs of other stuff down at the moment. This includes:

Chocolate Dark Ale
    Lime Cerveza
    Orange Zest and Coriander Hoegaarden
    Orange Juice and Coriander Hoegaarden
    Newcastle Brown Ale
    Spiced Wheat Beer
    Bavarian Lager

I'd have to check what else I have down but some times I'm too lazy to label them.
  5. maybe i do ... so whats it to you?
  6. Nothing really...I have the flu
  7. Orange Juice and Coriander Hoegaarden

Now that sounds orgasmic........YUM!!!!!!!!!!
  8. trying to organise a home brew fest/ comp at the local (north melb)
    any one interested in compete/exibiting?
    pm me

we're just getting legals checked at the moment...

if it goes ahead we currently have 8 brewers on the list :)
  9. Yeah I wasnt exactly sure how well it would come out using orange juice as the primary sugar source, but it's come out with a beautiful orangy colour.

Still not as orangy and creamy as a proper hoegaarden though. This is how I would (probably will) do it next time:

Easy version:
    15g Coriander seeds
    Wheat beer mix. Brewcraft or Morgan for preference. their yeasts arent too bad, but you can use Safale K97 yeast if available.
    4 Navel or Valencia Oranges
    Kilkenny Premix sugar... this contains lactose, hops and light malt blend.
    1/4 cup dark sugar - preferably hard muscovado

In a mortar and pestle (see they're not just for chefs and chicks cooking) crush 15 grams Coriander seeds and place in a pot.

Zest 4 large Valencia or Navel oranges and add this to the pot. Add boiling water and a 1/4 cup of shavings of muscovado cane sugar (raw dark brown is a cheaper substitute) and reduce in 1 cup water. This starting step like an orange sauce (as in duck a la orange), just uses no butter and a lot more water. No point skimping on water and risking burning it when you're filling the fermenter full of water anyway....

If you are using a different sugar source (say a wheat extact or a liquid malt) and hops then obviously chuck the hops in at this point. With the kilkenny stuff it's already premixed and you dont need to add hops separately.

In the meantime juice the 4 oranges and add to fermenter with the Kilkenny premix. Add 2 litres of warm water (not hot or boiling - this causes the malt/sugar mix to crystalize on the outside, making lumps of undissolved sugar) and swirl fermenter until sugars are dissolved.

Strain orange syrup mix and rinse with additional warm water to get as much orange flavour out of the zest as possible. Pour this liquid into the fermenter. Top fermenter up to 23 litres.

Note that the fructose and lactose will take additional time to break down than your normal dextrose sugar sources so extra fermentation time than normal is required. There will be a kind of astringent ammonia smell if the fermentation is still uncompleted.

I've got my next two brews already planned out so I wont be making this variant of hoegaarden for a while. Let me know how you go with it homebrew guys.

I have a couple of other versions of my homebrews posted on the web for review... especially my newcastle brown ale. Thats a ripper.
  10. Been making my own brew for years... But since I drink scotch over the colder months, I brew in the cold months and drink during the warm ones. So all I need now is a distillery for my own scotch, but I think they are illegal? Clarification?
  11. And none of you live in Canberra :roll:. You're no good to me, bloody envious though.
  12. I used to do a bit but ran out of room to keep it all. Stockpile's starting to get a bit lean now though so should probably get back into it. Been using one of the brewing labs out at uni for my research and picked up plenty of good tips for making good homebrew (like using a sterilising agent that actually works, not the crap they sell in homebrew stores).
  13. Yep illegal to use but technically not illegal to own provided it's under 5L in capacity and you claim it's only for making "essential oils" ;). Homebrew places often sell them, or you can make your own.

http://www.moonshine-still.com/ :-w
  14. Speaking of beer and Hoegaarden, has anyone tried the Hoegaarden Gran Cru that I've seen around?

I've really started liking the James Squire Golden Ale and Asahi, but it's getting a bit cool for the summer beers like these.
  15. I live near Canberra and brew.........although I haven't made any beer since I moved down here. I should brew up some more canadian blonde before summer.
    I didn't drink much at all last summer, so haven't felt compelled to do anything!

Regards, Andrew.
  16. this is making me want to go and get a starter kit... or a slab :wink:
  17. Cash or credit?

18. Do both.... just make sure you buy non screw-tops so you can use them for home brew....

oops that means you have to buy premium imported beers. Such a shame :p
  19. you can use either. I use VB long-necks usually which are screw tops, but I also use coopers long-necks which are not screw-top.

I just finished a bottling a batch of Cascade draught, and I'm stockpiling for summer.

its best to make home brew in the winter, so you can control the temperature better, and beer always tastes better in summer.

I'm growing some chillies in my veggie patch at the moment, and i'm gonna make some chilli beer. you just make a basic lager or cerveza then put a whole chilli in each bottle before you bottle the beer.
    i don't think its something you'd wanna get plastered on though.
  20. I've had two versions of this. The first was from mexico and the second spain or portugul (can't remember). They were both very interesting and, surprisingly, very different beasts (the varietal issue I'm guessing).

As you say, you can't drink more than 2 or so in a sitting though.

In any case, I'm happy to put my hand up for official home brew taster :grin: