Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do you have to warm up the bike?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Gowron, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Well pretty much like the topic says, Do you have to warm up your bike the next day of using it, or can you just start and off you go??

Hysoung GT250R by the way. Dont know if being new makes a diffrence at all?

2. You dont need to warm it up. Just make sure that you don't ride it hard or rev it too high for the first 5 minutes. However if you have the spare time or you remember, it won't hurt to go outside a couple of minutes before you leave and turn you bike on to warm up. Don't think you have to however.

3. It's a good idea to start your bike up before you put your gear on. At least whilst you are putting your gear on, there's a little warm up time for the bike :)

4. I was told I always had to warm up 250's for at least a couple minutes.

I have always done so and it runs smoothly when I take off. However, one time I had it parked outside and it started pissing down raining while I was at work, so I wanted to move it just down to the undercover garage..

I started it up and went to take off and it was so sluggish it would barely move, got it in there but it's not something I'd advise to do on a regular basis, can't be good for the bike.

5. I normally just start the bike then get all my gear on and ready. The bike is normally up to 50's by then, and then don't push it till over 70.

6. ok thanks for that, kind of like my car i have a S2 RX7 and i have to warm that up

Thanks for the feedback guys.

7. I usually try to let mine get into the first little area on the temp gauge before taking off and then keep it under 6000 for the first few km's.

Just go out and start it up a few minutes before you are ready to leave and it'll be good by the time you're done.

8. Problem isn't so much at warming the bike up but getting the oil to flow.
    At low idle oil pressure might not be high enough to compleatly get the oil to flow properly, start up is the worst time for an engine for this reason.

IMO ideling for five or so minutes cant be good.

9. You don't need to warm the engine, just like you don't really need to change the oil on a regular basis. If you want the engine to last however then doing both is a good idea. Just let it idle until it's running smooth. The other danger of heading out with a cold engine is that you may find acceleration a little more sluggish - could be dangerous if you need to avoid being hit by a car.

10. Yes, warming the engine is important. I don't ride the R6 until it's at least 60 degrees.

11. My BMW user manual says that warming up is not necessary and that the best thing to do is to start up and ride away!

I do like to warm up a bit to get things flowing , usually as I am putting my gear on.

Doesn't need or want a lot of choke (mines a carbed version not EFI)

12. I need to make regular but unschedualed (ie. pager suddenly going off) runs down to the station and just start it with plenty of choke and let it run while I put helmet etc on. Full choke idle is about 2500-3000 rpm so it's not exactly chugging. Then I just jump on hit the choke off and ride away. Mines air cooled so there may be some difference between the two. Also the temp up here really isn't very cold (gets up to 40 in summer) unless it's the middle of winter.

Cheers,

13. This is a very important point. Most bikes run a low pressure oil pump as a normal/high pressure pump will pressurize the oil system too much once the bike is revving hard (many CBR250s have this problem which results in lots of oil seepage thru gaskets). Allowing your bike to warm up at idle is as bad/worse than not letting it warm up. You need to start your bike and then raise the revs to a few thousand (as a rough guid 1/4 of maximum rpm) for 10-15 seconds before you let it idle. This speeds up the lubrication of all the vital parts of the motor (especially the top end and head/s).

Warming up any engine is definately preferable. It can increase engine life when done in conjunction with a through maintenace routine.

14. I'd check the manual that came with your bike to be certain.
    My Ducati manual suggests that it needs to warmed. On the otherhand, the Bayerische chariot's manual suggests driving soon after ignition.

15. You're right - the whole thing about warming up is to get the oil flowing and reduce wear. With older motors using cast-iron barrels and alloy pistons you also got differential expansion rates between piston and cylinder. The alloy piston expanded faster than the cylinder and had the potential to cause excessive wear till they were properly warm.

This is unlikely in modern engines but you don't want to leave it idling excessively. With older carburetted engines too you don't necessarily burn all the fuel coming in when it's idling. You then get some dilution of the oil (especially as the engine starts to get a bit old) - not a good idea, even though that fuel evaporates off when it's properly warm you've still got a period where you could get excessive wear. With modern properly metered fuel injection (or properly set up carbies) you don't generally have that problem.

With liquid cooled engines you also want to have the coolant warmed up and circulating properly before you go placing a load on the motor. Generally if you start the engine, by the time you've got your helmet and gloves on then you're ready to go.

TonyE

16. i always warm up, regardless of the many different theories on it, i cringe at the thought of putting all those wee little moving parts under load unlubricated :(

i guess some bigger, toquier bikes might not have such a problem with it as to get moving, they're under a lot less load. but i wouldn't do it to a 250 thats for sure...

17. the owners manual on mine recommends not riding until the temp guage is activated, which is at 35degs. I always leave it till it 40, which is less than another minute. By the time you've ridden 500 metres it's knocking on 60degs.

18. Mine is the same Doonks. I let mine warm to 50 then put helmet on and temp is at 60 then i can rip straight off the line.

For those pickle's that pick shit at everything...
    I don't rip straight off the line cos my tyres are cold.

19. The EFI manages start up pretty well: I notice a change in note from the engine when the bike hits 56 degrees which is basically when it's ready to ride.

*shrugs* read your manual, talk to your mechanic. The variation in opinion shown here means that it's likely to be different for each model.

20. I'm another convert to that school of thought.
    I fire up the bike once i've got the helmet on, hold the throttle at about 2000-2500rpm for a couple of seconds then let it sit at idle whilst i get my gloves on. A few more blips of the throttle to 2000-2500 to make sure everything is happy and the carbs are atomising the fuel properly then i'll gently ride away. After the first few streets and the temp gauge has already risen to almost the standard cruising at 100km/h temp (old school guage) then i just ride as per normal.

I used to start it up, let it idle, put the gear on, then baby it around... but had a very convincing chat with someone in the know.