Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do you have a track bike?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by iGolf, Mar 7, 2016.

1. So I've economically written off my 3 month old Yamaha r3.
    Only cosmetic damage but insurance has written it off and expects to get $2k from its sale.

Just wondering if anyone in a similar position has bought the bike themselves as a track bike.

I'll be getting a street triple next, so $2k on the track sounds a lot better than $13k.
    Not that I've been on the track but looking at California superbike school for starters.

Ive also got a few now useless parts for the r3 like pipe, oggys, levers, rearsets, tail tidy etc that retain some value if I keep the bike.

2. I doubt you'd lose any money at $2k. Pus you have the road stuff to flick off.

Decent for learning track days on too.
  3. Do it. CSS will be an awesome day - you can really push it knowing you're not on your daily ride!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. The logic is all good so far, but...... a track bike needs to be taken to and from the track.

If you already have something like an iLoad van in your drive way, then well and good, but, if you have to go out and buy a van, or a trailer and car..... it starts to get expensive again.
  5. Can never go wrong having a bike trailer around can you?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ...and something to tow it with.

I gave up on buying and owning cars many years ago now.

My wife just goes and buys whatever car she fancies, my only input to the buying is:-
    "Remember and get a tow bar fitted."
  7. Yup gotta have at least one tow bar.
  8. Landcruiser and a trailer at home. Already had the bike on there a few times so know how to squeeze it into a 6x4 with a cage.

Wonder if the Yamaha r3 cup folk will sell me the race pack if I'm not gonna race it...

Be interesting to see if the insurer sells me the bike or has a contract with the auction house for all economic write-offs too.
  9. Sounds like a goer then.... good luck with the track bike.
  10. So did you prang it this last week? Damn.
  11. Nah.
    Rode it off a cliff at Kinglake a month or so ago.
    Took a while to get it sorted with repair quotes etc.

New bike shopping tomorrow :)
  12. Faaark. Kinglake is not the place to go sightseeing like that. Glad your ok. Happy bike shopping :)
  13. Can only ask.

I can't see why they wouldn't, a sale is a sale.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. True.
    Although I believe the kit is subsidised. There's a fair bit to it.
    Only one way to find out...
    • Like Like x 1
  15. My only advice is to not spend anything that you don't have to on the bike. Don't overcapitalize.
    I see so many people spend big dollars on their bike only not to have the money to do any track days.
    "Race pack", muffler, braided lines, race glass or any of that stuff wont make you go faster nor is it likely to make your track days any more enjoyable. Most of it is marketing hype. Make sure you got some front pads left, change the oil, ride the guts out of it and enjoy.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Like Hondamick said, 'performance mods' are unlikely to make you any faster initially. Spend your money on:
    1. Getting the bike to rideable condition
    2. Track days/tuition

Dont get sucked into spending money on mods that you wont be able to exploit on the track, or else you'll end up disappointed.

Get the bike to a condition that it can be tracked for as little money as possible, then learn from each track day.

Once you have had a track session or 3, look at getting the suspension rebuilt for your weight and riding style, then go again.

Then upgrade your tyres and go again.

By then you should have some idea of what you are missing out on, then you can work towards that.

Don't waste money on performance mods when your inexperience is holding you back from having any corner speed - going fast in a straight line is easy but it wont make you fast around a track. The best mods are experience and handling, especially for smaller bikes.

Probably not what you want to hear, but it's what you need to hear.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. Good advice guys.
    Whilst money is not really a concern for me these days, I'd still rather not spend it if I can.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. I've had a couple of track bikes now (still cant ride mind you, but I dont give up) my first one was cheap, crashed well and for the most part wasnt too much problem.

I now have a 5000k old bike, its worth a lot more but its a bit of a pain in the ass....(thanks modifications) however my same model roadbike has 92,000k on it with no issues.

So my tip, if you decide to get one, buy a cheap one...keep it stock, and enjoy your track days. and if you bin it, well its not too much money.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. I feel like jumping in here.
    Few have said buy a cheap track bike. I know where you are coming from, a cheap one in case you crash it, cheap to repair and then go again.

But take Phillip Island for example. I'm not too sure about hanging off a cheap bike around Stoner at 200+, wondering if something will go bang.
    To be able to learn and more importantly, to progress, you need to have confidence in your bike that it will do what you want it to do.

If by cheap you guys mean a R3 or a Ninja3, then all good. But even then, I can only speak from a N3 point of view (it's my lams which I still have and ride once every 3 months), the stock suspension on that is freaking scary. I have little confidence in that it could do what I would ask of it.
    So the bike is cheap, but those entry level bikes need to be upgraded to be safe.