Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

do you guys... "leather maintenance"?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by spongesam, Mar 2, 2006.

1. no

2. yes

0 vote(s)
  3. should i?

0 vote(s)
  1. Guys,

i don't really see it mentioned here... but leather maintenance...

just to keep gear spick and span... what do you guys use? (if any?) on your leathers to keep them soft and comfy?

and and any other tips...

also the general question of do you after care for your leather from a cosmetic point of view?
  2. Yep. I use a product called "Only Emu" - bit of a misnomer though since it's actually a mix of Emu oil, Beeswax and Eucalptus oil. Works good though.
  3. I think Renapur is the best thing for bike leather. You can grab it from any decent motorcycle accessory store, such as Bikemart in Ringwood. About $20 a tub, plus your discount if you've paid your $5 ;)
  4. seriously... call a BDSM place, they are gaurenteed to know ;)
  5. Dubbin comes in black, and neutral for colours. And sometimes Hydraphane (an oil)
  6. I just use some stuff that is general leather cleaner. Can't remember the name of it sorry. It keeps its nice and soft and shiny. For the zippers, I run over them with a pencil and that keeps them really smooth. BTW, my jacket is quite old. I'm guessing around 15 years so the zippers need the old pencil trick quite often :D
  7. Dubbin will ruin your leather and more importantly the stitching.
  8. I use good old fashioned boot polish to keep the colour (old-fashioned black jacket and black pants) and some you-beaut beeswax stuff that I bought at the Bike Show to keep it both water-proof and soft and supple. If you're going to keep your leathers for any length of time, it's worth looking after them like this.
  9. fixed... any reason it does this?
    personal experience?
  10. A carpenters pencil is the best one to use too :) Heaps cheaper than a squirty thing of graphite ;)
  11. ....plus, it sharpens the pencil for marking carpenters :LOL:
  12. I used SnoSeal on my leather pants. After rubbing them down with a warm sponge (no detergent)

It's the ants pants. Used to treat the leathers once a year and they remained completely waterproof. Kept them nice and supple too.
  13. I use "Only Emu" as well .. the "bug-splat" protein enriched variety :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Depending on where I'm riding it's sometimes "Only Magpie" or "Only Crow/Raven" on two occasions it was "Only Possum" :shock:
  14. No maintainence.. Couldnt be bothered wif all that shit.
  15. Says Mr. Lycra :LOL:
  16. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If & when the leathers f*ck up, I'll just get another set :wink: