Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do you become immune?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by DAMon17, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Had an interesting experience last night.

I was riding home last night about 11pm on Burke Road, Camberwell. I was in the left lane as there are tram tracks on the right. Up ahead I saw some headlights coming out of a driveway or alley on my left. They looked to be coming on fast so I was already hitting the brakes before the idiot in a 7 series BMW came barrelling out in front of me to do a left hand turn into my lane. If I hadn't have seen him before he was on the road I would have slammed right into him. As it was I braked very hard and pulled up.

In this little stunt he also managed to use part of the right hand lane so the car in the lane next to me had to swing out as well.

I caught up with him at the lights, propped up in front of him and turned around to give him a mouthful. He waved his hand in apology.

Now apart from the whole "It's easy to say sorry after you've maimed somebody" argument. What surprised me about this is my reaction. Six months ago when I was a fairly new rider, this would have left me with adrenaline surging through my veins and shaking. Last night I just brushed it off as another day, another d**khead.

Does anybody else find that despite being angry in these situations, you don't get shaken the way you used to?

2. Yep, pretty much.
  3. I think it comes with experience Damon, I have been riding for 12 months and have become alot more confident in that time and have also become alot better at anticipating what other drivers are going to do.

I also like to leave a fair bit of "survival" space around me and always try to have an escape route should I need one in a hurry.

Good on ya for anticipating the other driver.
  4. It does shake you up to begin with, just like in a car. Eventually you start to expect it. That's the best way to be on the road, car or bike. Expect stupid people to do stupid things, and make sure you leave yourself that "survival space" as Simon said.

There's always going to be idiots on the road, so there's not point getting worked up about and at every one of them. You'll only tire yourself out and raise your own risk.
  5. Yeah...you just get used to it, and then move on.
    Remember...you've got to be ready for the next drongo, so you can't dwell on the last one too much.
  6. Ya. When your anticipation gets better you will EXPECT that person to cut you off/merge into you, etc. so when they try it, you've already either positioned yourself away from the danger, or you're ready to respond as necessary. If they end up not doing what you expected, its just a bonus :)
  7. yep like everyone else that gets on a bike I learned to take these events as they occured in same manner as you did, the really important thing for me though is to replay that situation a few times in my head remember what happened and how i managed to avoid getting injured, hopefully i'll pick up something in that replay that i could've done better or maybe see if i could've avoided it all together. Good to hear you wear jonny on the spot with your brakes as well :)
  8. Agreed, you do get used to it. But like others have said I think its more to do with your anticipation. Your probably not getting as may surprises on the road then you did when you were a beginner...
  9. It’s a syndrome called complacency. I would give up riding if I didn’t get the fear of god in me when something could possibly take me down.

Saying that it is easy to become attuned to your regular roads when you have seen many incidents and behaviour by drivers.
  10. Hmmm not sure I agree with it being complacency.

a feeling of quiet pleasure or security, often while unaware of some potential danger, defect, or the like; self-satisfaction or smug satisfaction with an existing situation, condition, etc.

I WAS aware, I did avoid the situation, and did it a lot better than I would have 6 months ago. I notice it now when I am back in my car that I am far far more aware of everything around me.

I've just maybe come to expect stupid moves from stupid people.
  11. A good rider reinforces their roadcraft and puts it into practice. e.g. scanning well ahead etc which means you ride expecting errors from other drivers and you respond to them almost without thinking.

Riding in traffic is a proactive exercise. Nothing complacent about it - if you want to stay alive.
  12. The problem with great anticipation is that the other driver isn't aware that he/she may be putting someone else in danger.

I do a fair bit of driving and I see these morons nearly every day.
    They're not hard to spot and usually you know exactly what they are going to do.

I often anticipate to a point where I leave my braking/steering to the last moment. I do this to give them a scare and make them realise that they did something wrong.

Hopefully I've given them a wake up call and they'll be more attentive in the future.
  13. and what about the non-attentive driver following you too closely one day?
  14. I think I would know if there was someone behind me....
    In that case my actions would change accordingly.
  15. Yep! You do become more tollerant with the @$$hole Cagers!

Tonight coming back from work an old couple doing a right hand turn just faild to give me my leagal right of way! Just shake my head to those F@#kers and to top it off 25m down from the "old couple" incident a Cabie decided to pull in front of me to do a 3 point turn! :roll:

Just waived my hand, poped open my visor and apologised " SORRY F@#KWIT I FORGOT YOU OWN THE F@#KEN ROAD" and then went on my merry way! :cool:

Thease days if the f@#ker doesn't cause me to dismount, I feel that I don't have to shine some light on his F@#ken day!
  16. Does riding a bike make you Harden the Fuck Up?

Sounds like a poll.

I'd like to think we all get better at anger & fear management.