Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do You Allow Test Rides When Selling?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Pleiades, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Hey, am looking to sell my bike soon (this is not an ad, btw), and my insurance tells me that if it's stolen whilst being taken for a test ride, I may not be covered. They're basically saying that if you hand over the keys, they won't cover it.

What do you do when selling? Do you let people take it for a spin if they're interested? Take a deposit of some sort?
  2. i do. some dont... if someone didnt let me test ride it i wouldnt buy it.

some use a collateral

if it gets stolen it happened when you were at a friends house... if you catch my drift

(not at your place of residence)
  3. 1) Old bike or new? If it doesn't require a special key for an immobiliser or anything, just get a spare key cut and then you can produce the originals for the insurance company in the event of a claim.
    "I went out the front of my house and it was gone."

2) When buying OR selling a bike, it is inspected and a price agreed on first.
    Then the buyer hands over that amount, subject to test ride.
    If they bring the bike back in the condition it left in; and don't want to buy it: they get their money back.
    If it's damaged, crashed or stolen - you have the money.
  4. New bike with immobilser in the key...

Cool, that's a good idea. Thanks
  5. i woudlnt hand over the full ammount.

id be happy to give a deposit though. I must admit ive test ridden about 8 bikes, bought 6 of them and never provided a deposit at all. even though i obviously had the money for them

i guess im just not that dodgy looking. you can kinda tell who is a time waster and a genuine buyer

i think a deposit large enough to cover the insurance excess would probably suffice.

if you ask for the full amount its very possible you will lose sales that you may have made, the chance of having a bike nicked when you have their licence $400 and car keys isnt as big i wouldnt think

each to their own though.
  6. Hi Pleiades,

I recently sold a near new GS500F. Of all the enquiries I received on the phone, I asked all if they had previously ridden this type of bike. Most had and it was great to see (without me needing to explain what others above have said) that the majority understood the 'ethics' involved in buying a bike - the ones who had never ridden a GS500/F before commented that they would go to their nearest dealer and test ride one first. Beaut !

I don't like anyone 'test-riding' a bike that's virtually brand new (total 1700km) and with 15mths factory warranty remaining. As it worked out, the first person to see my bike bought it...but I wouldn't risk it mate. Especially now that you've already checked with your Insurer..well done !

Money first is best policy.
    Good luck with your sale...nice to have some casholas lying around for more bling, or better still an upgrade.
  7. If the sale goes ahead, I'm getting me a race bike! Have had enough of riding on the road, not being able to go real fast on a real fast bike, so dedicating all my riding time to the track. Got my eyes on a 95 ZXR 400 SP.
  8. I allow test rides if a few conditions are met.

1. The person arrives with proper gear (just a ratty helmet is sus).
    2. They can provide several types of ID.
    3. I can sight and copy their drivers license.
    4. I can follow them on another bike.
    5. Most importantly nothing seems a bit off about the whole thing.
  9. I wouldn't buy a bike without riding it, ie testing it's primary function

I wouldn't expect anyone else to either.

I think regardless of the restrictions one might place on test rides (damage it you own it etc), you can't deny them totally.
  10. If they are serious about buying a bike they will have money for a deposit and be willing to leave it plus their license and multiple forms of ID.

If they turn up in a taxi with that ratty old helmet someone said, tell them its sold.

But if someone told me I couldn't take a bike for a ride I was prepared to buy if I liked it! bugger em... lose the sale, its their problem, they will just end up dropping the price and losing out on the deal to someone else.
  11. if they have the cash on them and leave it with you - YES

otherwise No.
  12. Agree with david85dc..ONLY if they hand over the full amount first.
    Money first, keys second....
    Any doubts, then kindly tell them to f*** off. There'll always be another buyer.
  13. On the condition they leave their car/bike keys with me and their license and they agree that if it gets broken, they buy it.

That way, you are confident they are who they say they are, they are not going very far, and the are not going to do anything stupid, with you having their license.
  14. Yes because my insurance covers theft during test rides as long as the person leaves their license with me.

Without insurance, i agree with the above. I would ask for the full sale amount or close to it to be left as a deposit i.e they have the bike, i have the cash and they are just checking that there is nothing strange about how the bike rides. Probably they would have to be close to buying it, but insist on a test ride (understandable, i certainly would).

I know that sounds harsh but there it is, bikes just aren't like cars when it comes to test rides.
  15. I'm guessing you've never before had an $18,000 motorcycle stolen, then.
  16. What about the type of license they hold? If you are selling a LAMS bike then there is a fair chance you are going to get people on their L's or P1/2 license showing up.

Those that have allowed test rides in the past, have you considered the license held in your decision?

17. And I think that is the point that a few are missing.

Tthis subject has been covered ad nauseum in here.

Thing is, as a buyer you have no idea as to the condition of the prospective bike. So, you take it for a ride. Unless, of course you're buying it off a mate, then you should know what it's like already.

I've had that line before. ie. no test ride/drive unless you're serious about buying it. With one, I'd driven some 200 kays to look at it. So when he told me that I lost interest.

When purchasing a bike you need to check a few out first. You won't know if you're ready to commit til you've seen a couple of examples. Unless, of course, you're immature to the point where you gotta have it now and have the first one that you see.

Someone commented about telling "suss" buyers to go elsewhere and that another buyer will be along.

Not really.

There are thousands of bikes on the market, both dealer and private sellers. The buyer will merely move onto one that's more attractive. And so too will the one after that if they don't like the terms of the sale.

Like G-S said, you need to take precautions to prevent your bike being flogged or crashed and you being out of pocket. But it's also a risk that all sellers take. You need to be reasonable if you wish to conclude a sale in a timely manner. Otherwise you'll have the bike sitting there rotting away.

Of course if your bike is a highly sought after one you're in a better position as a seller. But how often is this the case?

I'd question the insurer about the no cover claim, too. That in itself sounds suss to me.
  18. You don't need to ride a bike ont he open road to determine if its worth buying.

Make sure you can get it up on paddock stands, and run it.

Get the owner to take it for a 10-15 minute ride and come back and re inspect.

It is NEVER worth the hassle of test riding.

Take the buyer on a 2up ride, NEVER give it out fro a test ride. To do so would be stupid.
  19. Just went to their website and grabbed the Product Disclosure document:
  20. X 2

I also like to see some cash/proof of ability to pay, and cause I live so far away and mostly buyers are from Melbourne, i'll go to their house, or they won't bother coming all the way to my house just to take it when they can get one in melbs...