Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do you actually know what "SQUID" stands for?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by licensed, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yep. I only just figured out that "Squid", when used in the context of describing a certain group of motorcycle riders, is actually an acronym.. For so long i thought it was just a term used to liken a skin-showing, gearless rider to an actual squid or octopus or something in the ocean that showed or represented a lot of flesh (or skin or maybe just some gooey stuff).

I just found out that 'Squid', in motorcycling terms, actually stands for "Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous".

So it seems that the term has just as much to do with acting like an idiot on the road as the lack of gear that may be present (or not present, rather)..

So yeah.. just a little bit of FYI on the meaning of the term Squid. :) I didn't know what it actually meant, did you?
  2. not sure squids are really 'stupidly quick'. The rest i agree with

p.s. atgatt
  3. I think it's more to do with what they look like when they come off.... Like a squid, or octopus, with their remains scattered over the road.

I don't agree with "stupidly quick" nor do I agree with "dangerous". It's not dangerous wearing no gear unless you come off.
  4. i've heard that they sound the same when they hit the deck.
    kinda gross to think a human could make that noise
  5. Umm...they used to be called squids for the road rash. All goey and red when the skin gets stripped (you'd know what i mean if you'd seen it).

Somebody just made up the rather lame acronym later i think.
  6. #6 Deadsy, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    All those acronyms are probably... backronyms. More likely explanations (used to be a Wikipedia article) :

A contraction of squirrely kid, or squished kid.

Squids go fast in straight lines, but can't really change direction (probably another definition that was thought up after the fact).

Or the most likely one, the one related to US military slang: http://www.sportbikes.ws/showthread.php?t=86413

And holy ****... I was looking for squids on youtube and found this. How creepy are some of the real things??
    [media=youtube]1ljnf_Vybhs[/media] FUUUUUUUUUUUU
  7. gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.