Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do things happen in threes?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by mjt57, Feb 21, 2008.

1. I'm starting to wonder. Do things happen in threes?

Last weekend was our annual pilgramage to Merimbula via the Snowies. The day before the ride, on the Thursday, I nearly got cleaned up by a car. Due to my superlative riding skills I was able to "lay it down" in order to avoid being run over by an errant driver. [1]

Then on the Friday, Day 1 of the ride, the lads barely got as far as Powelltown when one of them hit loose gravel on his BMW1150RT. Scratches all round, broken mirror, but Beethoven continued to play on ABC FM.

Then a few hours later, near Whitfield, another mate, again, hit loose gravel and ended up about 30-40 metres down a cliff, bike leaping gullies, flipping end over and landing on its shiny side, as they say. Bike, CBR600f4i, a write off.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, not sure how to look at it, my prang forced me to cancel for the whole weekend. I was considering a quick run up to M'bula on the Saturday but not the whole weekend due to my wife's illness.

[1] Laying it down - term used to describe front brake locking up and 220kg overcoming human strength to keep it upright.
  2. i hope not a mate im going rideing with on saturday dropped his postie bike twice yesterday . saturday he will be on his ducati :shock:
  3. Mate I just got 3 flat tyres - 1 nail on the bike and 2 nails in the car. Bloody oath things happen in 3's, you bet!
  4. i've been to work late 3 times :( .. does that count
  5. #5 Rambler, Feb 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  6. Threesomes are great :wink:
  7. Book a Stay Upright course

I would suggest you and your buddies book a Stay Upright course or equivalent.

As if three people out of the same group of friends hit the pavement in one week. I suggest you are doing something wrong. Or going to fast for the conditions.

Especially if one was a few hours after the first one. One would think the guys would take a little more care.

My two cents worth
  8. I have had 3 jobs this year does that count... :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
  9. Re: Book a Stay Upright course

i can assure you, that you are on the right track. they are a bunch on young hooligans, very new to riding. kids these days
  10. jeez you're a stirring mongrel, joel :LOL:.
  11. Re: Book a Stay Upright course

Yep, one would think that, one, would...
  12. Re: Book a Stay Upright course

13. I know there not kids

I know they are not kids.

I also did the Stay Upright L's, P's & Advanced Course. With the Cornering and Braking to come.

I don't know very much but am willing to listen and have a go.

While doing the training, I bumped into lots of guys who have been riding for alot of years. Doing the wrong thing, with bad habits they picked up. Before bike training was compulsory.

So if your falling off, your doing the wrong thing!!

Have a nice day
  14. i disagree shane, if you are not falling off, you are not trying hard enough! :wink: :LOL:
  15. I find it very hard to believe that there are three people silly enough to employ you, buddy. :p
  16. Re: Book a Stay Upright course

Did you read the bit about No 1 drop
    "nearly got cleaned up by a car" !
    I read, even with evasive maneuvering I still had to let the bike hit the ground in a controlled less damaging way.

No's 2 and 3 = loose gravel = bike down , which comes under the "shit happens" rule
    You can do EVERYTHING right and still bin it on loose gravel, especially when encountered mid corner.

Ever seen a GP or Superbike racer go down because a previous rider had knocked some 'kitty litter' onto the track ? I'm pretty sure they have there cornering / braking / stay upright skills honed better than most other riders. Yet some loose gravel can throw them down the track just as easy.

:wink: :p
  17. Re: Book a Stay Upright course

I s'pose that's one way of putting it.

The "evasive" manuevre was me locking up the front brake, front end sliding out and me struggling to hold the bike up.

Had the event occured if I was riding in a straight line instead of turning into the driveway, then the result might've been different.

As for this guy who reckons that we should do Stay Upright courses, he's probably right, but for the wrong reasons.