Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do suburban auto shops let you garage ur bike in there?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by banditbob, Sep 29, 2006.

1. My folkes said to me, 'While you live under this roof you cannot keep a motorcycle on our property!' :cry:

I know its a strange question but do you reckon auto garages would let you keep ur bike in the corner of their shop?

Maybe I cld bribe the shop manager :)
  2. How old are you? Not hanging shit, but if you're old enough to have a bike aren't you old enough to get your own place anyway. Got to be better than having a bike you can only access during business hours to the inconvenience of the staff. :)
  3. Time for you to move out I'd say.

I had a similar issue with my folks when I lived at home but it wasn't re a bike....
    It was a huge stereo I bought home.lol
    Needless to say I found alternative accomodation and then my mum cried like a baby for weeks once I was gone :p That should learn her :p
  4. What happens if you want to ride the bike on a Sunday and they arn't open?

Sounds like your going to have to be a bit more persuasive.

EDIT: Damn Seany, quick on the draw.
  5. Where are you located?

There's room in my garage...
  6. Wish it were that simple Seany but on a minimum casual wage and studying full-time...moving out isnt a logical move atpit.

Good point about the business hour thing with auto shops... kinda restricts any late nite party-going.

Well if there are any fellow Brisbanites in the mood for charity :p with room for another bike in the garage...pm me. Theres $50 up front in it for u 2 :wink:
  7. How about $20-$30 a week for some self storage space? Eg. http://www.kss.com.au/
  8. my parents said the same thing 'not under this roof' funny thing is i have 3 bikes in the garage at the moment lol.

if i moved out my mum would freak, she'd have one less person to nag about stuff, and i know how much she enjoys nagging me, i couldnt take that away from her.

just put your foot down bob. as previously said, if your old enough to own a bike, then your old enough to make the decision to ride it. it's not up to them, they are just trying to keep control over you.

you should fill in the details on your avy too ;) (if you want to of course)
  9. LOL find a place to store it, but make sure its some distance from home. Then when you want to ride, ask them to drop you off. Im sure that will wear off pretty quick & there "'While you live under this roof you cannot keep a motorcycle on our property!' will be reversed
  10. I have the same problem with my parents.
    I'm in the the "Can't have a motorcycle and live here" boat right with you.
    My solution has been atm my bike is living at my friend's wrecking yard and when it's finished will stay at said friend's wife's parent's place which is just around the corner from my house :grin:

24 yo's old and with a project bike, car to run and misc other costs I can't afford to live out of home.
    I've lived out of home 3 times for periods ranging from 6 months to just over a year and always ended up financially stuffed. Maybe I don't make enough money or maybe I'm bad with it but it's waaayyyyy cheaper to live at home, pay board, eat their food and get my meals cooked for me. Just gotta put up with a bit of naggin and reduced freedom. Once the bike stops sucking all my money down and I get a promotion I'll be off again.
  11. Not meaning to offend anyone but feel I should throw this out there. :)

Has it occured to anyone that parents say these things because they actually want their kids to grow up?

Really, how can anyone say it's too expensive to live out of home in their Mid 20s or later because they have to spend their money on toys? Does it not sound a bit spoilt? Perhaps parents are trying to say if you can afford the bike then you could also spend the money on rent and become an adult who manages their own affairs and life rather than relying on the parents to provide for them? They mightn't mind helping now if they have to but they possibly don't want to do it through old age. They may also slightly resent the idea that they go without some luxuries to provide a home, electriciy, water, gas and meals while you treat your earnings as pocket money to blow as you please.

Yes it might be hard to look after yourself and pay for expensive toys and luxuries, but that is a fact of life that most people just have to deal with. :wink: :)
  12. Wot ee sed +1
  13. but my parents said the same thing...and i brought my bike for transport not as a toy. should i be descriminated against because i dont drive a car??
    ive never heard of any parent telling thier offsrping "your not owning a car under THIS roof!"

but i should add, i spend alot of money on toys :oops:
  14. You may be one of the few cases where the bike is the issue for your folks. Or maybe they think a car would just be more practical. I'm sure they've got their reasons. You'd have to discuss that with them. :)
  15. +1

I haven't lived at home for a number of years now. Budgeting is bloody easy to do and I can still afford the odd toy here and there. I wouldn't give up the freedom and live at home ever again. Dropping back for a weekend to either parent's place is a enough to remind me why. My parents are great but seriously there comes a time folks...

and now I live on my own I can have a bike!
  16. *Trying to not go straight on the defensive here.

Yes I'm 24 and I live at home.

BUT I've been financially independent of my parents since I was 15. I've always had a job and sometimes two. I pay board to live there, don't eat at home very often, and contribute to the bills as well. They've basically taught me since I was 15 and started working that I have to be self sufficient. They're quite happy for me to live there as long as I want (if I obey "the rules") and have always said that. The times I've moved out have been after major arguments or me just wanting more freedom. I'm the eldest of 4 (all other kids are still at home) and I'm handy to have around if my lil bro or sis needs to be run around plus I like being a part of my bro's n sis' live's whilst their growing up. I never had an older brother or sister so I wanna be the best one I can be for them. (plus i <3 em :oops: )

Their anti-bike stance is strictly from a safety point of view (and setting a bad example for my brother apparently) and because my mum doesn't want to lay in bed at night waiting for me to come home wondering if I'm dead on the side of a freeway and all the other great stuff mum's like to think about.

Funny thing is they have always been anti-bike, even though Dad taught me to ride trailie's as a youngster and when I was 15 I turned up at home with an RM125 that I'd bought and it was parked out the side for a while until i had to sell it (caught riding on the road even though my dad kept stealing the spark plugs i caught onto his game eventually lol)

So for the moment I'm going with the bike at friends place around the corner. Cause what the olds don't know won't hurt them. I think my dad has an inkling of what I'm up to (he's not a Det Insp for nothing) cause I'm always "going to work on a friends motorbike" :grin:
  17. double post sorry bout that
    message too short, cant be...
  18. More people should take a page out of your book mate. Many of the youth of this generation are spoilt brats imho. Well said :cool:
  19. Yes many of them are but the question is whos fault is it!?
  20. I think this thread has gone a little OT, but none the less...

I've been financially independent since i was 18 (finishing school & getting a job whilst at uni).
    I moved out of home when i was 20. (End of first uni degree and just after i returned from O.S travel)
    I owned my first motorbike at 21. It had nothing to do with my parents, and nothing to do with moving out of home.

The lesson being pushed by parents is that financial independence does not mean independence. Once you've learnt to stand on your own two feet you become a stronger more able person for it. I'm not saying everyone should move out of home as soon as possible, but there is a time for it. Once you've entered the workforce you should definitely be looking for your own place, then as long as your sensible with your money you can have all the toys, cars, bikes & large stereo's you want. :grin: