Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do scooters handle?

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by hornet, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Every day on the trip to Sydney and back I encounter somewhere, a gentleman of, shall we say. generous proportions, who rides his scooter right up to Sydney and back every day, obviously to work.
    It's a large yellow-ish device, and he has a top-box on it as well.
    What worries me is that it handles awfully.
    I followed him down Mt Ousley last night and the back end was 'pogo-ing' all over the place, and he must have been able to feel it.
    Is he just expecting too much of the device or is the back suspension of scooters not up to highway riding?
    {This is NOT an anti-scooter post, folks}

2. I would suspect its like real bikes.....

Some bikes have good suspension, some have bad... some have new suspension, some have old suspension, some people know how to ride, others dont...
  3. Of course scooters handle. The question you should be asking is 'how well'.
  4. I used to have a mate who did Sth Sydney to Newcastle and back every weekend on his oooold 200cc Vespa. Apparently it was hair-raising to say the least.

How quickly is one of those little wheels spinning at 120kph???

AND, all he used to wear was an open-face and a vinyl bomber jacket! (Well, pants, shoes, socks all that crap...)
  5. some scooters handles very well and some are pretty piss poor, even my mountain bike can go faster and turn sharper. So it's all dependent on which scooter it is. In most cases scooters are around 80kg. So if you have too large a person on it, then it is bound to be a slug on pogo-stick.

I ride a 50cc Peugeot Blaster and can keep up with the 250cc no problem through twisties.
  6. Sounds very much like the scooter can't take his weight and the rear shock(s) have blown.
  7. Probably a simple case of most scooters being designed for city use - not carrying fat bastards at 100kph+.
  8. LOVE the "Moped Hospital" sticker :LOL:
  9. http://tinyurl.com/8lohn

in parts of Asia, there is a thriving racing class known as "underbone". They are what we know as step-throughs - I think the name is a contrast with "backbone" framed bikes. They are mostly 125cc or less, and there is a strong market for go-fast goodies. The sight and sound of a 125 scooter with a nice expansion chamber balsing down the freeway at full song has to be seen to be appreciated. A couple of years ago they had underbone racing as a support class to the MotoGP at Sepang.
    So yes, they can be made to handle, at least the ones with big wheels.

My old 50cc Vespa, on the other hand, had problems staying planted at 50 k/h.
  10. Somehow, I don't think that the average scooter is designed for good handling. I think that most of them are aimed at convenience design, you know, ease of operation, extra space under the seat, carry handles blah blah.

If you try and punt a 50cc thru the corners too hard, all sorts of things start scraping, stand feet, mufflers and the cheaper one usually start flexing too.

But I have heard that the uper market sport scooters are made to handle, benelli, aprillia, pug blaster just to name a few.
  11. My scoot handles like a dream. as a matter of fact, I out handeled every other rider when I did my P's course.
    Faster steering responce, tighter turns, better low speed control and no one could out-emergency-brake me.

Nimble would be my word of choice when decribing the handeling.