Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do Proper Motorcycle Boots save your feet

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by browny, Jul 25, 2007.

1. In light of the terrible accident that happened to Mickyb and also to jackie that I have been following. Does Motorcycle boots protect your feet from this sort of injury?
    I wear Blundstone boots, however after seeing what happened to Mickyb and jackie (and someone else mentioned in the thread - thier father in law) Do the proper Motorcycle boots afford you extra protection to prevent losing your foot?

Because after reading these threads Im not sure if my Blundstones would :?

Also what sort are the best and most practical??

2. Depends on what you hit and how hard you hit it.

There is no hard and fast rule.

If you cop a glancing blow to your lower leg that is protected by a hard plastic guard on your boot then your lower leg will come out better than it would if you wore blundstones.

If you plough into a guard raid and hit your lower leg, boot or not, it's not going tp be pretty.
  3. does a proper motorcycle helmet protect your head?

Proper mc boots do work, and I wouldn't ride without them. or proper riding gear for that matter.

Thr right boot for you depands on your size, riding style & how you can afford.

Personally I have Alpinestars S-MX which are a great boot, and are much more comfotable & provide better protection & support then a pair of blundstones.

I think you should visit your local bike shop & buy some boots. :wink:
  4. Winter = Moccasins
    Summer = Thongs
    No worries.

I do agree with Vic tho (that should get me some brownie points) :LOL:
  5. You can't prevent injuries from bike accidents....
    What you CAN do is give yourself the best chance of minimizing the injuries as much as possible...That's what proper gear will do for you.
    I'm alive today, because of my gear.
  6. +100

I have these too and they are great. even moderatley showerproof.

good support but still comfy when off the bike.
  7. Proper gear saved me on Monday.......
  8. i'd say they're a worthwhile investment. Blundstones have elastic sides - bugger all protection in a slide... road rash on ankles... OW!

i won't ride without mine, and you can get cheap runner type ones too, which would be better than blundstones and are comfy as!... they'd be good for traffic/day to dad riding... you'd want something more substantial for weekend rides - i have a pair of XPDd
  9. Blundstones yuk

In my thinking Blundies would be one of the worst boots to offer protection. Just where you need protection most - the pointy outy ankle bone, the one that would hit the deck first and just keep on sliding - the boot turns to elastic material. The next best would be an all leather boot and the next best a 'proper' m'cycle boot that has hardened plastic exactly over the prominent bone.
    Just the opinion of an ex-ambo.
  10. Blundstones will slip off as you're sliding down the tarmac as well. Same with sneakers, even if they're laced up.
  11. To be fair, blundies are much more convenient than motorcycle boots.

No velcro + zippers to secure them; those elasticated sides mean that after a long day at the engineering site, you can kick the boots off without even using your hands. (Unfortunately this means that the road doesn't need to use its hands to take the boots off your feet either)

Most motorcycle touring boots are pretty comfortable - waterproof, well insulated, good ankle support, but comfy to walk in. I've been living in mine for a year now. They're 'only' $150-300, which isn't much more expensive than basketball boots were in the huge basketball craze of the mid-90s.
  12. Simple rule to follow with gloves and boots. If you can pull them off without undoing them, they will come off in a slide. If they come off they offer NO protection at all. So as much as I love my blundstones I would not wear them for protection.

Big boots are a PIA if you are not able to change shoes at the destination, that is why I am getting one of the following: theyseem to balance style, protection and comfort. I am not going to do track work in them.

13. nothing will protect you 100% from every situation, it's all about having the best protection you can and turning the odds in your favour.

I bought up my kids in all there sports to have the mindset that
    'if i cant afford the rite gear i cant afford the sport'
    this has cost them and me a fortune in safty gear over the years for
    Footy, netball, motorbikes (on and off road), ski racing, mountain bikeing, sailing, fishing, shooting, etc, etc BUT, safty gear is a cost as part of the hobby.
  14. OK then I think it is a resounding NO to the Blundstones Re: Safety.

Matti San, what are the brands of those boots?? They look like the go!
  15. The first are Joe Rocket Big bang about $160 from memory, the second are BMW Sneaker 2 about $130 or so. I will always wear my A* bigg boots for really wet days or a blast up the spur but that's about it. :cool:
  16. For my accident at the track, I wore boots that have a shin guard, ankle guards, and hyperflexion/extension preventers.

During my tumble, I did a one-footed somersault and my entire body weight pivoted over my right foot which dug into the bitumen at ~140kph. During the somersault I felt the ankle twinge as my body weight did its best to fold my toes up to my shin, but the boot's hyperflexion support was there to help, and rather than snapping my ankle, I just ended up with hair-line fractures to the talus.

Still, it's put me out of action for 16 weeks, but the doctors say that I'll make a full recovery. Had I actually broken the joints and damaged the cartilege it would've been WAY worse.

In short, nothing is going to save you 100% from a serious accident, but wearing proper gear may easily mean the difference between living the rest of your life in pain or with a disability, as opposed to merely being out of action for a little while before a full recovery.
  17. I've had 2 instances where my Sidi boots have meant no sprained/broken ankle, where otherwise I'm sure I would have done it some damage.

Particularly for your left ankle: proper boots can mean the difference between

a) My ankle's fine, I can change gears: I'll ride it home.

b) My ankle's rooted. Who do we know with a ute?

This is for a 'less than spectacular' stack obviously - but hey, I've also leant the bike over plenty far enough to scrape the outside toes on the road. Damn sure want a boot that grips higher than your heel if you might be doing any of that :)
  18. That is why I wont wear them on the track or for more spirited riding. :shock:
  19. If you need the Blundstone's for work, you can always get a pair of these, very comfortable. I also have the BMW sneakers which are much lighter but not as much support. Only negative of both of these is no shin protection (but more around the ankle than Blundstones).

Harley Men's 6" 'Brake Light' Motorcycle Boots - Black
    Boot Features:

Double Zipper Front entry.

Full Cushion Sock Liner.

Durable Rubber Outsole.

Goodyear Welt Construction.
  20. It's worth noting that Tony Elias probably wasn't doing more than 40-50kph when he caught his foot in the gravel and snapped his lower leg into about 10 pieces.

You DON'T have to be going all that fast. Just like how merely falling over and smacking your head onto the pavement from standing height can actually kill you, the same applies with your joints/bones in the rest of your body. Anything greater than ~25kph can break bones fairly easily if you land wrong.

Okay, let's put it another (dramatic) way. Performing a kick as hard as you can has your shin travelling at around 50-60kph, which is about town traffic speed. Ask yourself how confident you would be about kicking your shin or foot into a pole as hard as you can with whatever boots you decide to choose.

That would be my personal criteria for making a choice on what boots to wear when travelling around town.