Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do Not Call Register

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Sir Ride Alot, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Just got an email regarding the "Do not call Register". Not sure if it was posted earlier. I am unable to validate it's accuracy but the register did accept my mobile phone number.

Mobile phone numbers going public

This is for Australian phone numbers

REMEMBER: Mobile Phone Numbers Go Public next month.

REMINDER: all mobile phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale calls.

Below is a link where you can enter your phone numbers online to put an end to telemarketing calls. Don't just delete those calls otherwise you will find that you have been signed up for all sorts of extra services that you didn't want or know about. Like special chimes, music etc.

2. This is well worth while to do and totally stops those calls, unfortunately it doesn't apply to business calls. I get harassed on a daily basis on our business line, one company in particular has rung at least once every week for the last 6 years. They drive me crazy!!!
  3. what do you mean by business calls ametha?
  4. We run our own business. Have looked into the Do Not Call Register in the past to include our business line but they say it only covers private numbers.
  5. We've been using Do Not Call Register for a while, it's "only" good to stop Aussie callers but we've been having overseas people harassing you [of course] Also regarding the register, if someone has 'spoken' to you on the before (i.e harassing call) signing onto the register, they are still able to call you. This is from experience and research, oh well, hopefully it's stopped a heap of others.

When I originally lost my job due to upcoming surgery in 06, I signed on to a bit of surveys and stuff to keep me busy whilst in pain etc. We received a lot of spam/harassing calls from various folk. It doesn't happen too often though, just the same usual suspects, "Wyndham Vacations" some sport betting people and as mentioned, overseas people, usually the "Your Windows is slow" calls, they hang up when told my machines main OS is linux. I plan to lead them along for ages pretending that they are "helping me" when I use their phone/webpage scam stuff to waste time but they seem to call during dinner so we hang up asap.
  6. The information at the start of this email is misleading and incorrect - in Australia you CANNOT be charged for receiving a call without agreeing to it first.

Smee has correctly identified that this is a hoax email.

People who repost this sort of stuff are usually well meaning, but they don't do their credibility or anyone else any favours if it turns out to be false. My advice would be never to repeat this sort of information if you cannot 100% vouch for its accuracy.

7. You don't get charged for receiving mobile phone calls in any case, afaik.

Mobile phone numbers are easily guessable; the only thing that slows the marketers down is that its expensive to call them.
  8. Unless you happen to be overseas.....Telstra charged me $26/min for an inbound telesales call a couple of years ago...
  9. I run my business from home was getting hit by telemarketers my partner registered our home phone which happens to be our business phone tele marketing calls went down to maybe 2 a month sometimes less.
    Happy with that
  10. We just let the Answering machine answer all our calls, We have told Family and friends just wait for the Answering machine to answer, start talking and if we are home we will pick up the call, we are on the Do not Call Register, but we are constantly getting harassed Charities and so forth. As soon as the Telemarketers here the Answering machine start talking they hang up. Easy!
  11. I actually work in the call centre industry (in IT, not as a sales person) and know a bit about the Do Not Call Register.

If you have a number on the register you cannot be called by anyone, international or not, unless you have a prior relationship with the company, or if they are a political party, or charity. However it would be extremely difficult for ACMA to take any action against a call centre outside Australia.

There are also other parts to the legislation, for example, if you are called by an outsourcer (ie. someone who is calling from company A, but selling on behalf of company 8) they must divulge this information when asked. Not that this really tells you anything but it's sometimes interesting to know. There are also strict time frames that dialing is allowed between (can't remember the exact times off the top of my head).

The fines for calling someone on the DNCR are astronomical (up to 7 figures for repeat offenders), so no company is likely to willingly break the rules.

If you get a telemarketing call and are on the DNCR, then just tell the person you are on the list, find out what company actually made the call (they're the ones responsible, not the company they're selling for) and report them to ACMA.

As for the OP, mobile numbers are no more or less vulnerable than land lines. However, I did hear of a law changing some time ago which was allowing Sensis (the keepers of the white pages / phone directories) to sell the white pages in digital format, which would make creating lists to dial from a piece of cake. I'm not sure where this ever went, I'd be very surprised if this was actually allowed.
  12. I just hang up on them as soon as they start speaking - they rarely call again after that, and if they do they get hung up on straight away again.

Found this worked really well on our last move into a new house, where our new phone number was constantly getting called; All calls stopped after about a week of me doing the above.
  13. I have a phone with caller id - any calls that come in with the number blocked are not answered. My reasoning is if it is someone trying to get in touch with me urgently, they will leave a message or they will try my mobile.

Using this method, I have found the number of marketing calls has dropped substantially and I now get very very few such calls.

Reviewing the unanswered calls list on the phone tells me the bulk of the calls come in between 5.30 and 6.00pm. I never thought I'd be grateful that I never leave work on time.
  14. Thank goodness it’s a hoax. During the last couple of weeks I’ve been getting txts from a company and the only way I could stop them was to use the email they supplied. I tried texting stop but that didn’t work and I was fearful it may have hooked me into some sort of subscription. I asked them how they got my number but they only said it was a mistake.
  15. It will be interesting if I start getting calls on my mobile. They've stopped calling the land line. Last I had on the land line was the fake Microsoft call about my operating system. Screwed around with the guy for a while before accusing him of being a scam call, he didn't like that.

I've had too many sms's come into my mobile, from bloody Nokia. Had to call the bastards twice to find the return number to stop them (first guy suggested a factory reset). If I start getting calls it will be fun.
  16. It's always amusing to hang up while you're talking - they don't expect it.
  17. I guess you could move the mouth piece further away as you talk so they may be able to turn up internal volume and just before you hang up you could yell (close) to the mouth piece "Leave me alone" then hang up? But that'd be mean and nasty
  18. i just tell them that to hold on for a moment, then just shut up and they generally hang up within a minute :p