Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do I stay with the CB250 or move on?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by LizzyM, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Well,

it took me a little time :roll: to grow confident enough to attempt the restricted licence test..(and with GreyBM encouraging/cajoling me numerous times during the year) ... no pressure ...hmmm....:eek:hno: So finally, off I went to HART and did the day course and test and ... wow.. I passed! :beer: Who'd have thought? I certainly didn't give myself great odds... there was always something I thought I was doing wrong :LOL:

Now, the question is, do I stay on my trusty CB250 until I come off the restricted or start looking at something bigger? (Currently looking at something I wouldnt be allowed to ride yet...but GreyBM could... bugger!)

2. Good on ya, well done! I would keep the CB until you can ride the wheels off it & are well & truly sick of it! You will be a much better rider in the long run & you will appreciate your new bike all the better for waiting.

:grin:

3. Keep the CB. You're clearly only just starting to build some confidence so you'd be mad to damage that by having to familiarise yourself with another bike. The CB is one of the most forgiving and user friendly learner bikes every built. (not to mention its relability and low, maintainence). Build your confidence on the CB and learn to ride the hell out of it. That way, when you do upgrade you will enjoy the power all the more because your riding skill will allow you to make the most of it. :)

4. Congrats on passing! You didn't happen to do your test on easter Monday?

5. lol Lizzy, do what you want to do. I'm sure the grey haired one wouldn't mind either way.

6. Well done!. :)
    As Seany and others have said...I'd keep the CB until you are completely confident with it...at some point, your skill and ability will exceed that of the bikes...THEN dump it straight away, since from that point on, you can cannot progress and will overide the bike at risk to yourself.

That's the practical answer, out of the way...:)

To a point, you can learn to ride on any reasonable bike, and there IS a positive argument, for getting a more capable bike, that is of higher quality level in it's components, handling etc...The big question is whether you will be able to handle the bigger/better bike - Only you can answe that one. :)

John.

7. Congrats!

Its always good to get that out of the way :)

Its also good to hear the CB is still going strong! Its a great little bike, and I imagine it will keep ticking for a few more years yet.

Are you still thinking along the cruiser line?

8. I sure did... :grin:

9. Buy the bigger bike and let GreyBMride it. :LOL:

10. What I did personally was/is to wait out the restriction period on what I had - a 250, but when I had the money I wanted to spend I started to look. I bought a 06 daytona with bugger all kays at a really good price.

By doing it this way you have the money and you have the time. It makes it really easy to walk away from a bike that isn't quite right.

11. Awesome! I did my test there as well on Monday, I was the guy in the crazy red leathers... somewhat overkill for a licence test, but you never know what can happen during the swerving test :grin: I was surprised no-one else rode to the test so they could ride home without the L plate.

Safe riding!
    Drew

12. Like the others have said, stick with the CB till you're off restrictions. You've still got a lot to learn and changing bikes at this point only complicates the learning curve as well as costing $$ and then what do you do in 12 months time when you can get a bike beyond LAMS and have to buy again?

I'm now 4 weeks out from being off restrictions and done 17,000k on the zzr riceburner. I'm truly beyond it now and hunting for a bigger bike, but I don't regret sticking with the 250 all this time when I could have gone to a bigger LAMS bike.

You'll know when you've outgrown the CB. Just be patient and hone your skills without overextending yourself on it.

And grats on passing!! :grin:

13. Thank you all for the advice and well wishes.. the CB is going to be the one to do the trail blazing/learning/honing skills for the next 12 months (let's not forget... she is a pretty bike and she does forgive and forget very easily)

Drew... well.. what a "small" world this is! :LOL:

:applause: Congrats on your passing yours with flying colors..nice red leathers by the way. That just means you were prepared and confident and I tell ya.. confidence goes a long way, my friend.

Stormtrooper wrote:
    No, more sports tourer....I like the riding position I have with the lovely CB, more comfortable with that style.

See you on the roads and ride safe!:biker:

14. Yep that's right, rub it in and laugh away ...waving that fact is like waving a red rag to a bull... I may not get mad...but I'll get even :mad:

(Only kidding..! :LOL: )