Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do I need to shorten my chain?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Marick, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Recently bought a new front and rear sprocket. The stock sprockets are 15T front and 38T rear, 520 pitch.

I found that when I got them home that I had 15T front and 37T rear. Being thats the case do I need to remove a link form my chain, or should adjusting the chain length with the wheel chain length adjusting screws do?
  2. Depends, if you wanted to,keep stock gearing I'd probably consider taking it back and getting the 38T rear, but normally I'm if the belief if you're replacing the sprockets you should do the chain too
  3. You are going to increase wheelbase only slightly but it may make the bike tip in a lot more lazily, making steering more of an effort. And yes tiny moves like that can make huge differences. Normally one would purchase -1f+1r or -1f+2r
  4. Second thought are you sure it's supposed to be 15T front?
  5. The chain is very new while the sprockets on the bike were quite old. This was a project that I bought and Im replacing everything that needs to be replaced. The sprockets were shagged.

I may never actually ride this bike more than once, just to wear it in, and then sell it or trade it, so Im not too concerned about the change in handling.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Pretty sure. Dont have access to the sprocket at the moment, but Im sure 15t is stock front. This is from a 94 Ducati M600
  7. With the rear sprocket dropping one tooth, down to a 37. It will be slightly higher geared... ie higher top end cruising speed. However, if you are using the 800GS for adventure riding (offroad) you may find you want a lower bottom end speed, for hills and less stable terrain.
    Regarding the chain length, l'd think you will not have to shorten the chain, for one tooth. (And if you decide to shorten it, you need to take 2 out to enable it to be rejoined)
  8. Sorry I thought you were talking your f800. Dropping one off the back will probably just lose a tiny bit of punch. You won't notice as stock monsters are punchy anyway
  9. Sorry should have noted in the title this is a Ducati M600.

Yeh, sorry my bad.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. See my above comment, on the monster you'll lose the tiniest bit of punch and should be able to adjust out the chain
  11. Thanks mate!
  12. you could just lengthen the bike
  13. I like this advice...
  14. Had this problem before. The advantage of taking out a link in the chain is that it gives you more stretch room in the long run
  15. Chains will only stretch a finite amount, after that they need replacing, losing one tooth will not require links to be removed or it will then be too short
  16. I'd imagine a chain stretched too much would cause excessive sprocket wear?
  17. Off the top of my head 1 tooth on the back adds around 7mm of wheelbase but 1 link (pair) is more like 15-20mm so taking a link out would be making matters worse.

So just to confirm you purchased stock spec sprockets but found the rear that's fitted to your bike was different - ie it had been changed by the previous owner? If that's the case then chances are the wheelbase was previously wrong and putting it back to stock will correct it. Lookup how many chain links it should have stock and count the links on your current chain.
  18. No he's dropping one tooth on the rear, factory is 36T the bike had 38T, he purchased 37T
  19. It's actually on 5mm on the diameter, so 2.5mm on the radius. So going from 38 to 37 will only push the wheel back 2.5mm for the same length of chain.