Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do I need to Service, replace fuel & oil?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Renee_AW, Jul 23, 2010.

1. I haven't ridden my bike for about 10 months; pregnancy, 41 weeks of morning sickness & a beautiful baby boy are my excuses.

Bike: 2006 Kawasaki GPX250.

I spoke to my local Kawasaki shop & they said I need to do the following:
    - drain & replace oil
    - drain & replace fuel
    - check tyre pressure
    - see how battery goes once charged
    - a Service would be good but not necessary (it was last serviced June 2009)

A friend said I should be able to just get on & ride.

Can anyone advise whether it is okay to just get started & ride. Kawasaki said fuel will have gone off & that the oil will be degraded & not lubricate the engine.

2. Fuel MIGHT be old and dodgy but if it runs then no problem. Tyre pressure is obvious (i hope) but if its only been 12 months since its last service it's not going to be in dire need of a service... but would be due for one anyway. Brake fluid for example will absorb moisture. Nothing that would would be dangerous or stop you going for a ride but consider a service soon IMHO.

3. If it won't start: fuel, battery charge, and oil. MAYBE spark plugs.

Otherwise: Tyre pressues, a good clean (just cause you can), lube chain and oil & fuel if he's not running the best.