Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do I need someone to be my supervisor?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Brewskai, Apr 20, 2016.

  1. Hey fellas,

    Alright, so here's the story: (for reference I live in WA, 17 years old)

    I want to learn to ride a motorbike (duh), but the only problem is the no one in my family rides a bike or is elligable to be a supervisor.

    I've heard lots of information online from other forums and such saying you do need a supervisor and others saying you don't so I'm very confused.

    So my question is this: If I get my L plates, do I need someone to be my supervisor or do I pass the test and learn by myself? Might seem like a nooby question but I'm just so confused

    If you want me to clear up anything I would be happy to :)
  2. The rules vary from state to state. The best option is to head down to your local motor registry (RTA, RMS, WTF, BBQ or whatever they call themselves this week) and just ask what the requirements are.
  3. WA's one of the states that insists on a supervisor while you're learning. It looks like you need to clock 25hrs of supervised riding on your learner's permit before you can take the PDA test, then another 25hrs over 6mths on your LAMS license before taking the Hazard Perception Test to get your provisional license.

    Learn to ride a LAMS motorcycle (R-E)
  4. As Dark Angel said the situation varies from state to state in Vic for instance there is no requirement for a superviser. However in WA

    Once you pass your practical assessment you need to build on your riding experience.

    You will need to complete and record another 25 hours of supervised riding in your Learner Guide and Log Book over a minimum of 6 months. During this time:

    • An approved supervisor must accompany you at all times either as a pillion passenger, in a sidecar or on another motorcycle.
    • You can only ride a Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS): R-E approved motorcycle.
    • You must wear an approved helmet.
    LAMS approved motorcycle licence (R-E)

    So you need to find someone who can supervise you, try some of the local bike clubs they will probably be trying to help in this area.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Check out the *cough* Perth Street Bikes forum, they organise regular local learner rides to help learners get hours up.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Yes you must be supervised, one of the only things that annoyed me about being a learner as I had 15yrs road experience. However at 17 you should be getting professional tuition as you have no road experience. At the very least do 1-2 lessons with a professional. Friends and family are great, but they tend to teach what they think is right and their own bad habits.

    Also at your age you will need to complete set hours of supervised riding. Set amount before your test, then a set amount after in order to get your p plates.
  7. Welcome to NR.
    Ask John Howard:whistle: