Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do I NEED chain and rear tyre guard?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by TWARBI, Jun 25, 2007.

1. An apparent motorcycle savvy acquaintance of mine recently suggested that i remove the rear tyre guard and chain guard as it will make my ride look better...

I tend to agree with this aesthetic theory but will such a move prove dangerous? I understand that it will make it more prone to getting dirty but is this the worst i can expect?

2. I think both may be required for roadworthy - though this is the main reason why you'd want to leave the chain guard in place:
    Tyre guard has a similar purpose - stops rocks that might get thrown up by the rear tyre. So no getting a bit dirty is not the absolute worst thing that could happen.
  3. Leave it there. It's a roadworthy requirement and could save you getting a firm slap in the arse with a motorcycle chain. :shock:

Then again.............. :cool: :LOL:

(oh, why can't we have an arse spanking smiley? [-o< :-({|= :LOL: )
  4. On the legal side of things:
    Chain guard is required
    A rear 'fender' is required unless you have 'frame' protecting you. Have a look in the 'Fender eliminator' thread about removing a fender from a GPX, they have a bit of discussion about it. It's really as clear as mud, like most laws.
  5. [​IMG]

*gromit resolves to fit his new chain guard (currently sitting on his workbench) asap... *
  6. a plastic chain guard won't stop broken a chain
  7. Hopefully might slow it down a bit!

Makes you wonder why plastic guards are fitted as standard, though. Cost? Lightness? The fact that flailing chains don't take off riders' limbs all that often so it's not a problem?
  8. Doesn't stop it but because it's in close proximity it will help deflect the chain before it's built up too much momentum. Easy to see the effect by watching kart racing. Those things tend to lose chains on a regular basis yet thanks to a light plastic chain guard they're always spat out the back onto the road rather than being flung into the driver. Using plastic not only keeps down weight but also prevents the nasty shrapnel that could result from using a metal one.
  9. Not to mention a chain guard keeps your duds clean, and will prevent any nasty trouser cuff/shoelace/chain/sprocket/amputation episodes.
    A chain guard is a machinery guard.

Regards, Andrew.