Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do I need an instructor, or a mentor?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Ness_, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Hi all,

Having never rode a bike before, after one amazing morning as pillion with my godfather, I went out and bought a bike, got my L's, did my Q-Ride, upgraded my licence to RE, and got my bike delivered home. All in 2 weeks.
    Then came Xmas and New Years and with travel and family commitments I have not had many opportunities to ride. Twice the weather has scuppered my plans. Did get out on the bike once, at 6.30am on a Sunday morning, just rode streets around my home and was only out for an hour.
    It wasn't a very "fun" experience I was nervous and anxious, kept thinking I would drop it or someone would crash into me, or me into them. I don't think I made any big mistakes though, I didn't stall it and didn't put myself or anyone else in danger. At least, I don't think I did... But I don't have anyone to ask how I did on my first ride! :)

I don't really have anyone to ride with who lives nearby who I can just hang with for an hour or two. I know I need to get out and practice, but I don't know what to practice and I don't know where to go to practice it. I guess I am a little stumped where I go from here... I know that I know nothing, but I don't know the best way to build up my skills or my confidence. I can feel myself putting off riding again. I had the whole day off today and I didn't go near the bike, I read a lot of NR threads though! :)

So... Do I need to hire an instructor? Are riding instructors just like driving instructors and they come to your house and take you somewhere and give you things to practice? Can anyone recommend one on Brisbane's north side?

Or, is this exactly what I can expect from the Mentors thread? If so, I will get my butt straight into that thread and put my hand up for assistance! :)
  2. #2 NSSherlock, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    There are other courses you can do for sure. An Intermediate type course might suit you but the ones I know of are at Mt Cotton so you'd need to get there - not sure about bike hire at some courses in Qld but check if you want to go that way. Might be others around too.
    Start by looking at the sticky posts in https://netrider.net.au/forums/new-riders-and-riding-tips.57/
    A mentor would be good. I recall someone doing it in Brisbane and the guy progressed rapidly. So rapidly he rarely posts here now.
  3. #3 kevinnugent, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
    You can do it, Ness. I know you love the research and technical side of things and just need to get out and do it.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hi Ness would be happy for you to ride along with us on the northside or I am sure my sister who is pretty new to riding would be glad to chat to you about riding together.
  5. Hi Ness , try not to over think it . Yes it's a good idea to check out the new rider's tips section , but you might also be overloading yourself with too much information . Maybe just start with Robsalvv's thread Noob 101 - cornering basics . Just concentrate on 1 thing at a time .
    Don't beat yourself up about being nervous and it not being "much fun" , it's only natural to feel this way when you're starting out .
    If someone up your way can mentor / ride buddy you then that would be good, but if not , don't let it hold you back - just get out there and ride .
  6. Thanks, but I don't think I am ready for an intermediate course just yet. My Q-Ride instructor recommended I look at doing one of those in 2-3 months time, but wanted me to get out and ride first.
    Ahhhh yes, I read that diary! I just wasn't sure if I am still too new, and would be asking too much of a mentor? :)
  7. Oh wow that would be fab! Thank you, I'll PM you now, you're very close to me :)
  8. Hehehe yes I think that is *exactly* what I'm doing! :) thanks for the reminder and the tips :)
  9. Thanks so much for the link will go have a look!
  10. That thread involved a very new rider I helped to become very good indeed. No, you're not too new. My offer still stands. Where in Brisbane are you? PM me if you don't want to broadcast it.
  11. PM sent, thank you! :)
  12. I've been riding two weeks now and I had the same problem as you and somewhat still do except I've started to relax and not think to much when riding.

I think the more you get out there and ride the more comfident you will get.
    I rode my bike to work almost everyday after getting it and even rode it on Christmas Eve which was utter chaos for finding a park but I've gotten allot better now so I would recommend just commuting to work or go just ride every chance you get.

I'm gonna be doing a training course eventually and I'd recommend doing that too but I want to try and get used to my bike a bit more beforehand.
  13. You are so much braver than I! I scuba dive, sky dive, shoot etc, so I think I'm a pretty ballsy person, but there is no way on earth I would commute on the bike just yet, I'd have a coronary with morning traffic hahaha
    Really glad that you have settled into the bike quite quickly though, that means there is hope for me :) I hope in a month's time I'm thinking to myself "what on earth was there to worry about"
    I've been recommended to do the HART Handling Dynamics course in a couple of months time once I am more comfortable on the bike. I suppose it would be a bit tricky to do the course when I currently take corners at like 5km/hr LOL
  14. I'm probably a bit more braver because I had a crash on my first day of Q-Ride so I know what to expect if I do what I did wrong then in a corner.

You will get it in no time.
    Hmm depending on how far north you are I'm willing to meet up one day if you want someone to ride with though obviously that won't help you to much with learning haha.
  15. I would absolutely love someone to ride with, even tho I hope to have a mentor to help me learn more skills, it's only time on the road that will get me to perfect them, and I can't think of anything more frustrating to an experienced rider than some pain in the butt newbie tagging along at a snail's pace! So yes, once I am able to ride on a few main roads and get the bike above 60km/hr without needing a brown paper bag to hyperventilate into, I'd love to catch up and go on a ride :) will PM you soon!
  16. Hey Ness , anyone offering mentoring wouldn't be doing so if they were going to be annoyed by the slow pace of a learner . Don't worry about it .
  17. I did all my licensing through a company called cycle right in south east brisbane. The company is privately owned and run by a lady named peta from her property which has a huge bitumen slab for practicing. They run a great business and it's a pretty good bunch of people to be involved with as they do a lot of group rides and events throughout the year.

It might be worth a call or visit anyway
  18. Thanks for the headsup, will keep them in mind. Do you have to go to them or do they come to you?
  19. Keep doing your practice, even if it's just the streets close to home. It's all about getting familiar with the bike and it's controls and handling in the early stages. Almost all of your attention is taken up by operating the bike, with little left over to deal with traffic and other matters. Just ride it as much as you can and gain familiarity and comfort with the bike. Then venture further afield. Hopefully you have some quieter streets/roads around home or can ride to somewhere like that easily.
    • Like Like x 1