Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

do i have to let it warm up?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by enzise, Jan 22, 2009.

1. i got a k4 gsxr1000 it has the electric speedo and info thingy.
    when i bought it the guy said when i start it up to let it idle till it warms up to 45, and not to ride it before then.

do i have to do this? if i dont wat is the damage i will do?

2. im yet to see any evidence that engines need to be "warmed up" for more than a few seconds. a few seconds is enough to spray oil around the engine, ride off, then keep the revs low until the oil warms up. if there is a difference, its so minute youll never know over the life of an engine

a 1 litre engine should be built sturdy
  3. What gsxxer said; after a few seconds the oil should be circulating nicely and you're fine to set off at a relaxed pace.

Just don't load the engine up hard or thrash it until it's reached normal running temperature. :)
  4. I'd go a bit more than a few seconds. I takes a surprisingly long time to get a good flow of oil to camshafts and the pressure in big end and main bearings won't be correct for even longer.

In fact a few seconds wouldn't have all the electronics checks complete on a modern FI system

45 degrees C sound like a pretty low number. So it doesn't sound like bad advice. Take it easy even then for a few k's

If I were putting a time on it, I'd guess 30-60 seconds first thing in the morning.
  5. Wheel it out of the garage.
    Start the beast.
    Put your helmet on.
    Bugger off.................

Whats that 25 seconds?

Engines warm up much quicker when they're being used.
  6. I do pretty much what 2wheels stated, stated the bike gear up and go.
    I just ride it easily for the first little bit.
  7. Chris, you are right.
  8. The only thing i would add to that, is to do a quick visual inspection of the bike which will add on a few extra seconds.
  9. Fix'd
  10. Yeah, 'a few seconds' was probably the wrong phrase for me to use.

Usually I turn the bike on, then put on earplugs, gloves and helmet. Probably 30 seconds.
  11. *add

adjust your pants before you hop on to prevent nut crunch
  12. Well its abit different for my aprilia(2 stroke) have to warm it up correctly, every time, otherwise it's quite bad for the engine.

But it's definitely still important to warm up a four stroke. One big one is that it takes a bit oil to get up to temperature, but more so - Component tolerances are made to be "best fit" when hot. Particularly the cylinder bore/piston. Highly accelerated piston/bore wear occurs when the engine is cold. Same goes with the valve train, it also needs to warm up to be at the correct tolerances.

Generally, start then engine. Let it idle for atleast 30seconds, then ride off at slow pace - Use the bottom 1/4 of the rev range and dont go over around 1/4 throttle. Once moving, engine should heat up pretty quick(5 mins tops), once it is, ride as per normal.

One other thing i see people do all the time, that is bad for engines as well. - dont rev an engine straight away after/as you start it(im talking about when you hot start the engine). Strong oil pressure takes a good 3 seconds to build up. Loading/revving the engine before this fcuks the bearings.
  13. having said that, extended idle periods is potentially bad too, considering low rpm can mean low oil pressure and a rich fuel mix isnt good for cylinder walls either.

i dont think its going to matter too much in the long run. is someone going to have a bike much more than 100k kms very often? engines are tools to be used. use them properly, but trying to care for them is a waste of effort :LOL:
  14. Just ride the bloody thing.
  15. Warms up faster if you ride it.

I usually put gear on. Hop on. Start up. Put in first gear. Go. Avoid going over 9000 rpm until the temperature gauge leaves the 'Cold' zone.
  16. from the advice given. i am now goin to start bike, wheel out of garage. put on gear, quick visual inspection then it is good to go.

however i will take it easy on the bike till it gets to 45c, cant do any harm in taking it easy for the first few min.

thanks for all the info
  17. If it's early in the morning it never hurts to give it a few nice revs. Just to help with the warming and let everyone know that your a proud motorbike owner.
  18. It doesn't matter as long as you put the correct glove on first.
  19. It's safer to wear a condom too.
  20. Maybe start the bike after taking it out of garage, could be nasty if you happen to knock it into gear without actually being on it.