Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Do bikes make us young again

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by HeavyNinja, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Something I have been mulling over. Does getting a motorbike give each of us that feeling of being young again, seeing how fast we can go, take that corner etc.

I am not talking bout the guys who ride 150+ on the highways all the time, but those of us who would be riding normally, then feel bored or get an itch, wait till road is clear and then open the accel, speed etc and have wondered if it is just curiosity in general, or is it the feeling we get from riding that makes us test the bike.

I was a hoon in my younger years, I lost my right to drive and learnt from it and in the last 12yrs I have not had a single fine. I drive what I consider normally. No stupid crap like older times.

However hop on my bike, got some km under me and even with L on the back, I waited till not a car in sight and had some fun, then back to sitting on speed limit, then a sharp bend with a suggested limit of 30, I saw as a challenge, could I do it at 50. Often I wonder if it is just me in general wired to test boundaries, the adrenaline you get etc. I know when I get a litre bike, I will go to a quiet road off the hwy and "test" it out. However I won't ride flat out all the time.

So is it that we all feel young again on bikes so do things we wouldn't normally or are some of us just wired for that rush of adrenaline and danger. Sadly for me I think it is a little of both.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Not so much feeling young, but just feeling free. Enjoying the roar of the engine over the nagging, fantale eating, nails down a chalkboard voice of my wife!
    • Like x 3
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. you have just about summed it up for me. I am on the wrong side of 60 and when I am riding a bike ( or a maxi scooter, my apologies :D) I don't feel any different than 45 years ago and do things regularly that my brain tells me I should not. The sad difference is: in those days we had next to no speed limits and slow bikes; now we have fast bikes and slow speed limits. The only exception to that is: I do wear more protective gear; got away with wearing very little for a long time and do not want to push things in that respect. And I know quite a few fellow riders, who are well above 70 and they swear the riding is what keeps them going a lot longer than the guys who sit on their couches.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Not sure who said it first, but I think there's a reason you don't see many motorcycles parked out the front of the psychiatrist. I'm not overly into straight-out speed, but I love the feeling you get when that tricky sequence of curves you've been working on comes together perfectly, or you get on after a crap day at work and suddenly it doesn't seem so bad. Riding a motorcycle isn't rocket science, but its hard to do well, which is partly why it appeals to me I think. That and my bike makes awesome noise, and looks pretty, and goes like a stabbed rat.... ;)
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sometimes I feel very old on a bike, particularly if riding long rides in cool weather. My knees hurt, my ears ache, back gets tight, my tennis elbow flares up.
    But I do it all again the following week anyway because its good for my head space!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. #6 Bjpitt, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    I don't know about trying to take corners as fast as you can on the street, I gave that up long ago. I still take them "swiftly" and at times lift the pace a little more. But I prefer to enter and exit at lean angles and speed at a spectrum I was expecting. If I enter and exit a corner faster or slower than I was expecting, I failed to read the road and it was actually an error. I can scrape pegs at will - but I am annoyed, it's not an accomplishment to me anymore, it means I used some of my reserve - had poor body posture - or failed to read the corner. So while I don't feel old, I certainly am reminded I am not my lunatic teenage self who would try and hit every corner at full attack mode.

To me I ride because of the greater connection to the world. Sometimes I go slow and just soak in the environment, it's as rewarding as visualising and then executing exactly as expected when tackling a set of bends you haven't seen before.

I also ride because it's so much better than driving a car in the city. Being able to filter to the front of lights, removes one of the biggest frustrations in life.

CraigACraigA - do you use ear plugs? Ears hurting is something you can rectify.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. No, but it helps you forget that you are no longer young!

Most of the time. If things aren't going quite so well I sometimes question why a silly old bugger is doing this in his old age.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. BjpittBjpitt , yes I do wear them mate. I had a set of moulded ones made about 5 years ago.
    The ear ache thing was a bit of poetic licence really. I don't get ear aches on the bike unless I haven't washed/ cleaned the plugs often enough.

All the other things happen though from time to time. Thing that gives me the most grief is my right knee.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Mmmmm I actually had to stop and think about this one. When I first started riding I was feeling and thinking like a horny teenager again without the zits. I had to ride every waking moment if i could, then like a teenager, the fights over the activity started with the now ex. Where are you going, who with, what time will you be home etc. You'll kill yourself blahdy blah blah...
    That wore me down a bit and a few things happened that took that edge off. But I bounced back and for about 12 months riding was the "bestest" thing in my life. I had regrets that I hadn't started younger but then thought fck it I am starting it now at 53.5 years so stuff everyone.
    Then I guess maybe I matured and realised I really wasn't shit hot on a bike and really couldn't do anything much on a bike lol. Na I had the wakeup call that I was in fact a very, very barely average rider and not likely to improve much in the longer term unfortunately. I honestly feel that i have run out of years to improve anymore.
    I bought myself a way too energetic 1000cc bike in Dec 2015 after having ridden on a 300 cc for only 15.5 months when getting off my Ps in November 2015. I know too well now that i sorely lack the skills to ride this beautiful glorious machine and I am paying the price for my former "youthful' exuberance in buying the bloody thing. I admit defeat.
    Now I feel a bit too old, tired, bruised and worn out by it all tbh. It is a a constant battle not to drop the fckin bike or nearly kill myself so I am warily eyeing Zeddee off like he is the school bully. Not sure whether to be bothered fighting him anymore or just ignore him hoping he will go away.
    I do so so love the speed but like the trained monkey it is the riding bits in between that well and truly sorts me out from the true riders. I think the trade off between living in Port and Sydney was also giving up some great riding buddies and missing the encouragement from them all to push through the shit sometimes. A shared ride can make all the difference sometimes.
    Much easier when no one to ride with to just ignore the kawasaki Z1000 elephant in the garage and go down the beach instead...
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. This just about sums me up :)
  11. Ever noticed how, on those days when you are REALLY in the groove, carving up your favourite route and fully in the moment, time seems to slow down......

Proof that you age less when riding!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. I may struggle to walk and be in pain and know that I am getting old. But I am not going to give in and while I am on my bike no-one would know this. Yes it keep me young and it is just as much fun as it was 50 years ago.
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Don't know about the young-again thing, but the free-again thing is what gets me back on, especially after unplanned dismounts.
    Oh, and the 'F..ck you!', I'm not giving in that easily.

Just knowing that I can do it, and learn more while having fun, is the payoff.
    For me, this makes the ongoing expense, endless agonising over potential farkles and running adjustments/maintenance (read chain care) bearable.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Oldmaid, I reckon you are being a bit harsh with yourself, and we are often our own worst critics. Believe it or not, you have posted many inspirational tales about your experiences on Wasabi and Zeddee both & many of us have enjoyed your extremely open and honest heartfelt stories. I have had my personal doubts as well through out my riding experiences and I'm sure we all go through these moments of reflection. Whatever your personal outcomes or decisions may be with regards to riding or Zeddee, I personally just want to say 'thank you' for sharing. Cheers Fred :)
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Illegitimi non carborundum
    or get a 600! or some training. or your suspension set up properly. it takes a while to learn how to ride performance bikes. I've got a street triple which is a bit smaller than yours (chose it over the z1000 as it handles so sweetly) but it was a handful for a while, and I had a lower spec 600 before that.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Indeed (y)
    Joys of semi-rural living -no rider training to be had around here...I eloped with Zeddee and ran away from Sydney too quickly! Spoilt down there.
    MudfrogMudfrog too kind but I now find that I have a bike I paid $17k for in Dec 15 that I am being told I would be lucky to get $11 tops! :ninja: Probably should just take it up the Oxley again and just hammer it and see what happens...:whistle:
  17. No.
    I used to think I felt young again, until I came unstuck back in 2010 and spent 8 months wondering if I'd walk again, let alone get back on a bike.
    Now when I ride, I still get the sense of freedom/adrenaline, but after so many years riding, my accident made me realise that I'm not as young as I thought I was feeling, and most importantly, it made me realise how important riding is to me.
    I still get a little spirited now and then, but I soon talk myself back down and just enjoy the ride.

Sadly, I believe, this sense of 'feeling young again', contributes to the rising death rate amongst 'returning riders', who still think they have the same abilities (and bounce) as they did 30 years ago.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Sobering thought. Perhaps however the rising toll is more to do with the number of hours an older rider might spend on a bike and the fact that we just don't bounce like we did.

I think we have to agree, riding bikes does not "make us young again", but it certainly makes us FEEL younger!

No one knows how old I am when I wear a helmet, sometimes not even me. Invariably I arrive home with a grin on my face, though probably not for the same reasons as when I was younger :(

I am a latecomer to riding and will definitely claim a therapeutic benefit both mentally and physically.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. OldmaidOldmaid Thankyou for sharing your thoughts in this post.
    I have read this post a few times, I agree with others, perhaps extra training may help you or you may just have to downsize to get the passion back?

I found this post very informative and think it should be shared in the 'New Rider Section', where I read time and time again, newbie riders counting down the days until they can 'upgrade' to a litre bike or bigger. Some make the transition easily, but many do not, and it take years of poor riding and near misses to reach the point where you are now (realisation).

I think by writing and sharing your post, you have made a major step in you motorcycling journey, recognising what you have said, is something that many new riders (or returning riders), don't seem to understand. 'Bigger is sometimes not better'.

Years ago, when I raced, I was itching to step up to a bigger class; however, my father just told me to master what I had, and once I could ride the tyres off it, then it would be time.
    After 35+ years of riding, I enjoy riding a 125cc machine just as much as my 1300, but for different reasons.

I don't think everyone is suited to riding a motorcycle or should be constantly praised, I guess I can be pretty straight up if I don't believe a person should be riding.
    Because, in my line of work, I get to see the end result out on the road.

However, you OldmaidOldmaid , I have followed your journey since you've joined this forum and your great ride reports (and journalistic interpretations), I was surprised when you upsized to the 1000, but now I think you have reached a point that only you know what you must do, but I would like to see you stick with it, perhaps just find a different reason, for which to ride a motorcycle.

all the best with what ever you choose.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. I think you have simply entered a new phase. I got the feeling you entered riding like many do. As a hobby. Many people take up hobbies and for a period of time (this is different for everyone) they are consumed by it. But at some point, something happens and they stop progressing in skill, or think they are not progressing in skill, and will never be any good, or some just get bored...

The Zed may also simply be the wrong bike for you? Being easy to go fast can mean it's less rewarding to go fast. Or perhaps now that you live in Port, the need to hit the road is less important as you can now also get that escape just by walking down to the beach?
    • Like Like x 1