Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

DIY Rear stand

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Tobbera, Jul 2, 2012.

1. This tip is for all of you who don't have a access to a paddock race rear stand when you do your cleaning or chain maintenance.

Use a couple of 1/2" socket wrench extenders to lift the rear. Put it under the bolt/nut of the wheel axle or under the spool holder. Use a rug in between the bike and the extender to protect paintwork. Works like a charm!

Here I use on long and one short extender that was in my socket kit.

2. Hey way to socket to them brother.
    ps. sorry dad joke.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I can't work it out. You've got the socket extension under swing arm on the right hand side, but what is holding it off the ground on the left? And how stable did it end up being?
  4. Left hand side? The side stand that is holding the bike up 8-[
  5. The bike rests on front wheel, side stand and socket extension. Was stable enough to spin and clean the rear thoroughly, and also the chain. The rear just need to be lifted a cm or two.
  6. i have a dirt bike style jack-stand
    can these be used with road bikes?

how does one support the bike to remove the swing arm?
  7. To remove the swingarm I would probably try to support the foot pegs, or try to hang up the rear in something attached to the ceiling.