Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

DIY Polish Rims & Remove Decal

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Rambler, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Hi all,

I am very excited about my new bike and am hot on modifying it already... just to sex it up a bit more.

Stage 1 will be to remove the fairing decal set which boil my bunny.
    I mean really, why did the Lime not just get the standard "Ninja" sticker like all the other colors? ... ie USA model.

[​IMG]

I will be attempting to remove the decals via the method posted here.

Stage 2 will be to polish up those rims. I think the bike will look much nicer with polished rims. I will be following the method as posted here on Netrider under the "Articles" section here. The only difference will be that I will be attempting to polish the whole rim.

If anyone in Melbourne is interested in joining me during these mods please feel free to PM me as I'd love the help also :grin: I have a feeling I will be completely lost getting the wheels off the bike.

Cheers,
    Rambler.

2. You won't be rambling for a while if you start on polishing those rims, that is going to take a LOT of elbow grease, and a lot of time. I predict you will be well and truly over it before you finish one of them.
    But hey, don't let me stop you, knock yourself out! :grin: :grin:

3. Polished rims look horn, although they are a bit dated nowadays in terms of fashion.
    However, I recommend you don't do it yourself, in fact i recommend you don't do it at all.
    From my limited understanding, I think getting them electroplated is the only way to get the look you are after without the headache of upkeep.
    I had heard about how much of a nightmare bare polished rims were to look after, but i didn't really understand until i tried it myself.
    You don't live far from me, get in touch and we'll hook up at my place and i can run you through what's involved. after that you can make an informed decision.
    Plus if you still want to go ahead with it, I have hammers and tinsnips which will change your mind :LOL: j/k
    PM me.

Scheff

4. Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated :)

How expensive would it be to electroplate 2 rims?