Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

diy paddock stand

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by fitzy, Aug 5, 2005.

1. just thought i'd show off my new paddock stand. cost me a lot less than what they sell them for in the shops and a couple of saturdays worth of work. im really happy with it. makes working on the bike 100% easier. big thanks has to go out to my mate for doing 99% of the welding and fixing up all my crappy welds as well.

pics can be seen here: (don't think im allowed to paste them here)

pm me if you want one or info. sean.

2. looks good mate... very resourceful.
  3. Cool stand.

Functional, cheap and with the added satisfaction of having down it yourself. Well done.

(pity about the bike that's on it, though, they seem to get in everywhere don't they?)
  4. (pity about the bike that's on it, though, they seem to get in everywhere don't they?)

don't worry mate i dont have it by choice. 6 months and counting til off the restrictions.
  5. If it does the job for you and you enjoy it, that's all that matters. In case you haven't noticed, Acrosses are fair game around here, if you ride one you gotta have a thick skin!!!
  6. If anyone is interested in them and live in the syd/wollongong region let me know. My mate is a metal fabrication engineer and he is a damn fine welder (stick, tig, mig you name it, he does it) and has access to all types of metals. I'm thinking of making one very similar to the ones bought from a shop. Let me know if your interested in buying one and i'll get him to give me a price.
  7. Very nice indeed. :wink:

Any chance of a closer pic on the pivot poit on the swingarm (pickups)..and what angle did u use??
  8. That inspires me... might just have to pull out my arc welder and make myself one. Do you lift the bike onto it, or lever it up? any damage to your concrete by doing that?
  9. It needs a set of nylon wheels to help raise the rear?

Oh and you need to get a decent numberplate surround :p
  10. The need for wheels was the first thing i saw as well , but overall a top notch job , well done :D :D .
  11. Perhaps you could glue hard rubber/plastic pieces on the corner edges to help round the edges and making it easier to lever off the concrete.

With actual wheels u might need to do some drilling. I was thinking more of hacking a quarter portion of some plastic wheels and glueing them on the corner. If this makes any sense. :wink:
  12. Well done!! I was going to make another one (I did make one without welding any thing!!) this very weekend!! and this time I was going to use an ark welder!!

Your design is tops... but I still like mine better :)
  13. I'd like a stand like the Anderson that has casters so you can move the bike backwards and sideways once the back wheel is up. http://www.andersonstands.com/universal_rear.htm Space Saver
  14. Yep that space saver definately looks good!! I have just been looking up picutres of them trying to decide what models would be good. I think it will definately need to have nylon wheels to move it around once on the stand.
  15. I've got a narrow but long garage and I want to put the bike right in and then turn it 90 degrees, and then drive the car in, so that would be ideal
  16. Ok i'll give the mate the picture and see what he can do. Something such a simple design will be a piece of cake for him to make up. He'll have it done in a day!!
  17. fiddled with wheels and found that with no wheels it was easier to deal with raising the bike as the stand is stable. all it needs to the bike to be held nice and straight, hold the pivot points in place and lever it up. with wheels the stand slides forwards and makes it a bit trickier. stand doesn't mark the concrete becase it never moves. the bike moves backwards when raising it and the stand stays still.

voodsy: i'll try get a closer picture of the pivot points and the angle is 70 degrees, safe working angle of a ladder so we just used that. it was very much a trial and error procedure.
  18. Cheers :wink:

[msg too short]