Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

DIY Helmet Communication System

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Stueh, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Hey everyone!

Project tiem!

Since Nomi and I have started pillioning absolutely everywhere, I've found that while hand signals etc. are useful for basic communication, more and more I'm finding myself wishing we could actually talk properly without having to stop, shout, etc.

I also like playing with electronics.

And I'm cheap.

SO. I'm trying to find plans to build a wired helmet communications device, but an not doing so well in this quest. Any help?

Cheerio!

Stueh

2. You can get stereo helmet speakers off ebay for about $10.

Jaycar would probably have an amp kit.

You'd need a couple of mic's with a PTT system or VOX - again I think Jaycar should have this.

Nice idea - would be interested to see how you go with it.

I purchased one of those cheap intercom sets off eBay for $50 - haven't tested it tho so no idea on its quality.

3. Those cheapy wired intercoms on ebay are ok at low speed but the mics + headphones are crap above 50kmh, you're better off just yelling.

But if you plugged in a good mic with decent noise cancellation you may find it suited to your purposes.