Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

DIY Decals

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Manny, Apr 13, 2005.

1. I was wondering if any of you have ever tried making your own decals??

http://www.decal-paper.com/inkjet.html seems to have the paper for the job...

I suck ass at painting so i figured id explore other options.. now all i need is an idea *ponders*

2. Hi

I use Experts Choice clear decal film for the waterslide decals on the things I make. I get it from a hobby shop here in Adelaide. It's $22 for a pack of three A4 sheets. Photoshop the image and size it to fit, then print it at 300dpi "photo quality". Once it's completely dried (overnight) spray it with clear coat. I use stuff from the hobby shop... it's about $10 a can. I start off with about three light mist sprays over a couple of hours, then next day give it a light coat, then another light coat each night for two more days to make three coats in total. Mine are going on guitar / mandolin headstocks which I've already put a few clear coats onto, so after the sticker has been applied and dried (next night) I give it another thicker coat. One more thick coat and the sticker is well and truly embedded in the finish.

The quality is about 6 out of 10 in my opinion. If you look closely the sticker itself gets a kind of orange peel effect that shows through the top coats, but it's good enough for what I want. Because my stickers are just my brand name I can get about 90 from an A4 sheet.

Pale colours look like crap, and when I've tried to apply them onto dark wood they almost disappear, so a light background works best. I believe you can get decal sheet with an opaque white background, which would work better on dark backgrounds, but I've never seen it except on the Net.

Hope that helps!
  3. Wonder how UV stable the inkjet ink would be - can imagine that it might fade quite a bit - although that might not be a big problem ...