Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

DIY clutch change.. hard?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by BJ, May 26, 2007.

1. Hey i have discovered that my clutch is slipping at high rev's when flying off from a set of lights. Sometimes after hitting 2nd or 3rd and coming off the clutch it will continue to slip for a little bit.. same thing when slipping the cluth for attempting these 2nd gear mono's.

Honda have priced me up around the $290 mark for the clutch and to have the clutch and it fitted around $600 at the max.
    Now thats pretty steep so I'm thinking I'll do it myself. I have the full workshop manual for the bike so i can follow that but it is hard to change the clutch over or pretty easy?
    I'd say I'm at a medium level mechanical knowledge :grin:
    btw it's a Honda Hornet 600 if that helps

2. Shouldn't be too hard, provided you get the plates in the right order etc.

Actually, I wanna do mine too. If anyone else is in the same boat maybe it's worth having a Melbourne wheelie boys clutch replacement spanner day... I know Koma and Sobil have both done this stuff before, maybe we could bribe them with beer to come help.
  3. Sounds like you could handle it OK.

It's a relativley easy job BUT make sure you have the right tools, some times there are odd shaped spaners involved.
  4. Clutch = easy job. Good spot to start learning the spanners.
  5. Yeah its not very hard. Just gotta make sure u the right tools, and everything torqued up correctly
  6. Sometimes its a matter of tools. Ive only done it on me trusty ol XR2FIDDY, XL5 and 600. The securing nut on the clutch basket was completely round, then had 4 square key way sections, cut out of the nut, the cutout being roughly the diameter of a ball point pen except square, at 0-90-180 and 270 degreesif that makes sense and you can visualise :shock: , So Honda kinda had ya by the :shock: balls as you needed their "specialty tool" So I thought to myself :-k my tools pretty special :dance: well to me, and Carri too hopefully 8-[ anyways So I had to get a piece of water pipe the same O.D.diameter as the nut and file away till I had cut out 4 key sections-like a castle turret if that makes sense- to suit the nut. Then after making that, I had to weld an old socket onto the end of the pipe to be able to get a wratchet onto it and also get right torque when reinstalling. Also when reinstalling I had to secure the clutch basket from rotating with a similar device to an oil filter remover, otherwise the clutch will just spin :tantrum: If you are prepared to adapt impovise and overcome, you should be able to get it done. Depending on when, I may be able to lend a hand.

1st step need to look at your workshop manual and first see what the clutch basket securing nut looks like and see if its just a normal nut that secures the clutch basket.
  7. is it hydraulic or cable operated ????

Have you checked that first ????

rather than pull the clutch is it the lower end of the acctuator may need adjustment
  8. I would also be interested to hear where people go for parts......local dealer (in my case, Honda in Adalaide area) or more interested independent (any suggestions in the Adelaide area)?

9. Ive never had to remove the clutch basket to change clutch plates. Its an easy job, and on most bikes only requires basic tools, some loctite and a torque wrench if you want to be precise.
  10. Well Im pretty sure I did from memory, was it Honda XL or XR your referring too? granted this was many years ago in trailbike riding days I did this.
    As we say at work, RTFM procedure is recommended.
  11. thanks

Yea the pics and description in the manual doesn't appear to require any "speciality tools" cause i hate those tools.... i'm not the best at custom making them :wink:
    I lack a torque wrench but thats about it..... everything else between me and my mate i'll have.
    Not torquing it to specific manufacturing requirements is this a huge issue? It's not like I'm going to have it over loose or reef it on as hard as i can just the usual tight and then 1/4 more :grin:

Also I've tried adjusting and no joy... which i hoped was the problem :wink:
  12. The clutch cops a fair bit of the power from the engine. Disengaging and engaging it. It is important to torque it up, cause it will rattle loose and cause a right disarster if it happens.
    Get urself a torque wrench, it will come in useful.
  13. Don't stress about the torque wrench, the tension on the clutch comes from the clutch springs not the retaining bolts. Loctite and enough so they wont come loose, the clutch springs act as a spring washer as well so they dont have to be very tight.

I wasnt refering to your XL or XR, BJ rides a Honda Hornet.