Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

DIY Bling

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Chairman, Nov 5, 2007.

1. This is an unashamed plug, targetted to everyone who's thought about making their own accessories but never been sure how.

I've decided to add some extra goodies to the SZR. Everyone needs a fork brace, oggy knobs and new footpeg mounts, don't they?

Rather than fork out my heard earned for these, I'll be making them myself in the hobby machining class that has just commenced at Victoria University ( AKA Sunshine TAFE, for those who remember back that far).

Enrolling in the class gets you access to all the workshop equipment - lathes, milling machines, drill presses, arbor presses - under the supervision of an experienced trade teacher.

This class gets 5 thumbs-ups. Paul (the instructor) is great and the other students are mostly grizzly retired engineers or rail/steam/engine nuts building complicated projects. So there's plenty of experience to call on when you get stuck. Last week I got a 10-minute introduction to the milling machine (I'd never used one before) and I was on my way to making a dovetail cutting tool that I need for another project.

If you like making big bits of metal into small bits of metal (and who doesn't?) join in the fun on Thursday nights.
  2. Pictures and progress reports, please, Mark :wink:.
  3. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with mate!