Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Disposing of used dirty brake fluid...

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by ward_4e, Jun 27, 2006.

1. My brakes are getting way to spongey for comfort so I'm going to replace the fluid this saturday morning but this leads to a problem... What the hell do I do with the stuff? its as toxic as all hell and no good for anything else but vandilising car bonnets... 2 of the three petrol stations i've been to wont take it and the third said is $25.

I'll be damed if i'm going to pay $25 for someone to pour it down a drain... this is tasmania the clean green, old growth logging capital of australia... I cant just pour it out on the road either...

So what do I do with teh crap water logged brake fluid / oil?
  2. Change your oil at the same time, mix them together and take to oil recycling place. Or....add hydrogen peroxide and watch the mushroom cloud of smoke scare the neighbors .....much more fun.
  3. :LOL: you will read about it tomorrow after i gass the neigbours... Tazzie Terroist Strikes...

I'm not due to change the oil just yet... or set fire to teh street.
  4. You know that patch of your garden beds where you don't have anything planted, and weeds just keep growing there...................... :wink: you got it.

5. Hmmm now was it me having a whine about some chick............... Hmmmmm
  6. Car bonnets you say? Just happems I have about a litre of used brake fluid lying around.....hmm...........

Regards, Andrew.
  8. I usually just dump my old brake fluid into a container with used engine oil, as stated above. When I go the "recycling centre" to dispose of my waste oil (haven't actualy gine yet, have about 25 5 litre bottles of oil to get rid of!) it's gone!

Regards, Andrew.
  9. thanks andrew... I may just put off doing the brakes till next week and do the oil change early.
  10. Good on ya for not doing the easy thing and pouring it down the drain. Maybe contact your local enviromental protection agency - I know in Vic the EPA (www.epa.vic.gov.au) have information on waste disposal. Or maybe something like the cleanup australia website will give you a phone number or two. Did a quick search and seems like http://www.southernwaste.com.au/aboutus/introduction.html may be able to handle your enquiry.

11. Kingborough council have "recycling centre", you pour it in the big waste oil drum, they let you dump the rest of the rubbish cheaper.

I've got litres of old oil here ready for the next dump run, bit more brake fluid won't hurt if you want to add it in.