Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Displaying P Plates. (VIC)

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by MR_PEA, Feb 20, 2009.

1. if you are on your full car license, do you have to display your P plates??

cheers Joel.

2. if you have a full car lcience, you will not be on your Ps on a motorcycle.

a probationary licence is simply for the first 3 (now 4) years that you have ANY road licence. for instance myself, i dont have a car licence, just my Ls in the car. im on my Ps on the bike, once i finish the bike Ps in a couple of years, if i choose to get my car licence then, i will go straight from car Ls to a full car licence (possibly restricted, im not sure).

so assuming you have already done your 3 years of Ps in the car, once you complete the Licence Test on the motorbike, you will have a full restricted motorbike licence for 12 months, then the restrictions are removed an you have your full, unadulterated licence :wink:

if you display Ps when you should not be, you are actually breaking the law and can be fined, im not sure if there are demerit points associated with this.
  3. What he said!
  4. thx....
    i was sure that was the case...
    missus kept hasseling me to put P plates on my bike....
  5. Even tho you would have been issued with a full motorcycle licence, be aware that for the first 12 months, you must have zero BAC & are not allowed to carry a pillion passenger.
    Also there are restrictions on the type of motorcycles that can be ridden....
  6. woa??? how sure are you of that
  7. In Vic it is the case: Restrictions

There is also this:

Probation Licence

8. I hope this isn't the case in SA as I ride with a pillion often, I couldn't find any info about it on the transport SA site. Lucky us :grin:
  9. Looks like you are safe in SA: SA Motorcycle facts.

10. Thanks for the great site Day alot of great stats to read up on