Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dishwasher Question

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by lil, Jun 29, 2007.

1. I have a question for mum that someone may be able to help with. The dishes on the top shelf of the dishwasher are being cleaned but have a gritty residue left on them. We have cleaned the filter and the swivel bit underneath that shelf and are still using the same powder....can anyone suggest something else to fix it? We have never had a problem like this before....

2. This happens when I use cheapo powder, they my have changed something in your usual one. OH and run it through with NO dishes once or twice, this helps aas well.

PSST don't tell the other bikers I know about washing dishes, I'll never live it down! :LOL: :LOL:
  3. when my dishwasher doesnt clean the dishes properly, i make her do them again :LOL: :bolt:
  4. Ours does this too..both in the old house and the new one (different washers)

so i'm thinking i might try some different powder/tablet/cleaning stuff.
  5. You wait till I tell your missus :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  6. Clean both the spray arms, you should be able to take them out & clean
    Run an empty load with that dishwasher cleaning stuff
    Check you have enough of rinse aid stuff ( that blue liquid ) & check the correct setting.

Check seals, on door. The problem you described also happens when seals are on the way out.
  7. yep all that

only use about 2 teaspoons of powder, too much is bad as makes too much suds and the pump cant pump suds

dont use the economy settings, use the hot wash and make sure its actually getting hot as this is a common complaint when its not heating
  8. Instead of rinse aid, I use white vinegar. Heaps cheaper and heaps better result.

Dishes come out sparkling.

The vinegar is also good at getting any built up gunk in the hoses :cool:
  9. I had this problem with cheap powders. Use Finish powder. It costs more, but it always works, no residue or grit.
  10. Yep, spot on. Cheap powders are exactly that, cheap.

Run the machine on an empty heavy duty cycle with a cup full of white vinegar. This will help break down any soap scum left behind.

Residue is usually left behind if the water is not being heated to the optimum temp of 180c.

It may be a sign that the machine is on the way out too.

I used to install dishwashers and washing machines. This is the first thing we used to recommend to people.
  11. Bah! Four hours too late. If you didn't say anything I or somebody else would've.

12. Ktulu

:arrow: [BACKUP!]
  13. ktulu, haggismaen - i left it open for you guys for a little while before i :nail: one in there
  14. I know mum doesn't use cheap powder...not for the dishwasher nor the washing machine. I'll get her to try the white vinegar thing and washing a couple of times and see what happens.

Thanks people!!

P.S. Joel, you have a lot to answer for! :LOL: :p