Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by krabi, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Just needed to rant. Today I took my bike to get new tyres at a so called reputable dealer in Newcastle. Anyhow, they told me to come back in an hour and a half, which I did but they were still working on my bike. They said that I needed new front brakes, and it would take them an extra five minutes to put on while my front wheel was off. So, I figured that made sense so I agreed.
    While looking at other stuff in the shop I heard a big bang and some swearing. I looked up and saw nothing and thought typical workshop communication patterns.
    30 minutes later my bike was ready. I payed, I jumped onto the bike and straight away noticed that my left grip (and mechanisms) had moved down. I thought that was odd, but it was a nice day and I was feeling nice thinking they'd adjusted it as it might had something to do with the brake (stupid me should've realised that was the clutch hand). Next I noticed my gear leaver was significantly lower on my foot than before. I thought I'd adjust that at home 'cause they might of moved it when taking the back wheel off (once again I failed to realise that had nothing to do with the back wheel- for the tyre). I rode along and I hear a "clunk" when I slowed down at an intersection near my house. As I was close to home I pulled up, grabbed my tool box to do some minor adjustments on the gear leaver arm. This is what I saw:

They clearly dropped my bike while on their lift bent this part moved my mirror etc.
    The other thing was that a nut was loose on a bar that was connected to my back wheel and that was clearly the reason for the clunk so I tightened that.
    Now my problem is not that they stuffed up. We are all human and mistakes happen, but they were dishonest by lying by omission. That erks me. I priced the part from another dealer ($16.45) and ordered it. I did not go back to the workshop where they fitted my tyres, as I thought "I don't want you near my bike again".
    Now, in the not too distant future I will be in the market for a new bike, and guess where I am NOT going. For a measly $16.45 part they just lost a customer because they were dishonest. Now "they" is the optimal word as it was an apprentice working on my bike and the workshop manager knew what was going on, and the others in the shop who in hindsight looked very sheepish.
    The other thing is this kind of stuff is very dangerous on bikes, as I noticed the metal was fatigued around the bend and could've easily failed while I was on the move. This was extremely irresponsible of this group of people. I feel that they should've told me what happened so I could've kept an eye out for it, and most of all they should've repaired it. I will send an email to the manager and let them know what happened and the consequence of this. I'm not going to ask for any money off these people and I will definately not bring my bike near them again.

2. What a poor effort :(. It's pretty obvious that it was your bike fallling, or being damaged in some way, that you heard; how did they think you WOULDN'T notice the damage???
  3. Name & Shame i say. If that was me this thread would be totally different from what it is now.
  4. I'm going to give the proprietor time to respond to my email, and I thought naming and shaming might cause other problems. Lucky it was a nice day, otherwise... :evil:
    On a positive note, going in to the other bike shop to order the part the Honda VFR800 caught my eye and I was thinking mmm...
  5. I wouldn't be putting it in an email - front them about it, and the sooner the better!

I had a wonderful experience with an auto air conditioning place. Had to take the car back a second time after their first repair to spend more money on more gas for a joint that failed within two weeks of the original regas. I collected the keys and was walking back to my car having paid for the work, only to notice that it looked as if someone had hit the door with a large chunk of steel. I turned around to find ALL the workshop staff staring at me - they all knew about the problem!

I walked straight back in and asked "were you planning to tell me about the damage to my car that wasn't there last time I saw it before or after I drove off?". Short ending was that the door was resprayed at their cost, even with them complaining that they didn't make any money on the job. Won't bore you with the story of how the gas disappeared again...

I've worked in service industries before and saw time and time again that copping it on the chin, while embarassing to start with, does nothing but GAIN trust. Pretending things didn't happen is akin to theft in my books.
  7. Dont email them. No-one will take you seriously if you haven't got the balls to pick up the phone.

Ring them or go back in and ask them in person what they're playing at.
  8. I would have walked out of there with a repaired bike and not having paid a cent if that was me....

Get some balls and go back there tomorrow!
  9. u couldnt claim the tyres and brakes but u could definitely claim the repairs (of the damage) and maybe something extra for ur trouble.
  10. fair go :p
    Anyhow, it's amazing when the same email also goes to the head office of their main franchise.

Also, it would be a case of their word against mine and all that would turn into is a slanging match (I don't want to waste that kind of energy on them- sounds so zen; Pirsig is such a good influence).

So, there are many ways of winning a war, not just going in balls and all :wink:
  11. Well, good luck mate. I hope it gets sorted out

(I didn't mean any offense by the "balls" remark. Glad you took it lightly :) )
  12. You should of gone back as soon as you noticed the problem, that way they wouldn't be able to deny it.

But if your not going to peruse it i suppose it wont matter.

Maybe your luck will turn around now, maybe head office will send you something for your troubles.
  13. +1
  14. It never ceases to amaze me how often you run into attitudes like this.

I'm betting the manager never new and the bloke that did it has a five minute attention span.

You run into this all the time in construction. People do shit they know someone will have to redo because it's wrong, but they are thinking about smoko or something.

and yep you should have gone straight back. Not doing so casts doubt about when the damage was done. The guy that did it is going to deny it.
  15. I had something similar happen to me with my new (well, new to me!) SV.

Took it to my mechanic to get it checked over after picking it up. He told me he'd give me a call when he was done and i'd be right to pick it up.

Got the call an hour later 'Your bike checked out fine - there was a bit of a problem though. When I started the bike on the sidestand, it fell over and there's a bit of damage.'

He went on to tell me what damage there was, that he's already ordered the parts to replace and he'd have my bike back 24 hours later than expected.

I was shocked, but I'm glad he was honest about it. As a consequence, I'm telling everyone how good this guy is - yes, he did drop my pride and joy, but he had the guts to admit it, fixed the problem and i'm good to go again.

I'm sure he could have tried to cover it up, but he didn't and that's made the world of difference to me.

16. well, it wasnt frasers that dropped the bike then hehe. (that was my initial thought).

17. this is my point exactly, he was honest about it whereas in my case dishonesty through OMISSION happened.
    Anyhow, got an email back from propriter and franchise head office saying the matter is being looked in to.
    Personally, I don't want anything from them, they have lost my business and and other people who are willing to listen (verbally) I'm careful about libel, I don't mind slander, but libel :grin:
  18. It' not so much that there is a problem...it's how they rectify it that really matters... damaging somebodys property and hoping they won't notice is an areshole act plain and simple :evil:
  19. I am much more forgiving of mistakes than I am lies. As someone else said, the guy that dropped probably tried to hide his mistake from others at his work. Hope you get it sorted out, I would be seriously pissed off if it was mine and they said nothing
  20. I had a similar problem after puchasing an SV.

It was a real lemon and after approaching them about it they gave me a full refund without any fuss.

I ended up speaking to a scooter dealer that I knew a few days later that often trades with the store that I bought the bike from. I told him of what happened and he said "ah your the guy that happened to, I can't tell you how pissed off the manager was at the guys in the workshop".

I think you'll find that many owners/managers are keen to ensure you're looked after, its just slack employees that can damage a stores reputation (and your bike).

Send your complaint however you like but if its by email make sure its actually getting to the person who cares about the business and its customers.