Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discrete Video Hosting Site

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by davidp1984, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Do any of you guys know of video hosting sites that enable me to hide videos from everyone bar the selected few that I choose not too. It's just I got some riding videos (sorry, no p0rn) but I dont want to put them somewhere public like youtube.

Thanks in advance.

2. Face book has a feature that allows only your nominated friends to view them
  3. Mate, you can do that on youtube. Simple mark the video private, then no-one can see it exists or view it unless you send them a special link to it.
  4. You can make youtube videos private and allow up to 25 people to view it by invitation only.
  5. Thanks. Didn't know you could do that. You guys made me a happy camper today :)
  6. There's heaps of file sharing sites around to upload/download, but not many that you can watch online.

There is a High Def site that wont compress your file. I'll have to nose around a bit until i find it.

Just something to keep in the back of your mind, once it's uploaded it's completely out of your control. i.e. it can be downloaded then uploaded somewhere else.

I know you're only planning on sharing with your friends.........but have a think about what you're doing first ;)
  7. flickr lets you do this too i think?
  8. Just to clarify, are you talking solely about vimeo or about all other options as well?

E.g. If I upload a video to YouTube and set it to private, then I go give the link to a mate. Now the mate can go and view the clip but cannot download it (although he will be able to distribute the link). Right?
  9. No I'm talking about all of your options. If you share anything on the internet you can no longer consider it to be in your possession.

That's correct up to a point, but to my understanding there are programs around now that can rip from youtube, flickr, etc.

The only way to cover your arse properly is to do it with the raw footage before you upload it, because once it's on the net you can't control it.

The smart thing to do is to remove all identifying features that can be used for tracing. To be honest I don't know all of the intricacies of it, so you'll have to do your homework. There is a member here who pops in from time to time who may find this thread and help you out, but i wouldn't count on it.

Without trying to sound rude, but it's best to call a spade a spade, what I'm trying to get across is, don't be naive about it.

The chances of it getting into the wrong hands are fairly slim, but with a little thought and effort they could be zero :)
  10. Actually, most of the videos you watch (esp. YouTube and the like) are downloaded into your temp. internet files so you can very easily retrieve them from there.
  11. now where are those links? :)

12. That all makes sense, I guess I'm going to have to wait for my video editing software to arrive :). FWIW, I didn't find it rude.

Thanks for all the advice/suggestions/info everyone.

Goz = :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
  13. Cool. Thanks bud.

From the little i know, you're looking to remove or alter things like frame rate, and any digital stamps that the recorder may place on the footage.

If you're using a tank mount cover your speedo, if you're following anyone cover their plate.
    Don't do what some people do and begin their footage from their driveway, that makes finding your house just a little bit too easy.

Nobody has the authority to take the camera or it's contents from your bike without a warrant. If they insist, get them to speak into the camera clearly and acknowledge that they are seizing it without your consent.

[EDIT] oh yeah and when you're done, send me a link and password please?
  14. How about ftp? not sure how it works, but generally needs a password to be accessed.