Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

discountnewbikes.com.au (waste of time)

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by slik50, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Guys,

Just some feedback on the discountnewbikes website. It is presented as the "no haggle, no hassle" way to buy a bike.

All I can say is what a waste of time. I made inquiries on the Hyosung GT650S.

1. It took a dealer more than 1 week to make contact.
    2. I explained this was definitely the bike I was after and already had a price. The dealer offered me an RRP of $8990 + ORC. (They quoted ORC as $1500 for NSW rego). So total ride away of $10,500.

Now the best part. the SAME DEALER has the same bike advertised on bikepoint.com.au for $7990 + ORC.

I don't mind too much if a dealer does not want to give their best price over the phone. But I really am offended by the fact that they inflate the price by $1000 - $1500 because they think they can.

I won't be using that site again.

2. Did you point this out to the people that run the site and the dealer?

Might give you a little bit more room to move if the dealer feels a bit caught out, although it could go the other way (which it always seems to do with the bike industry..... they get defensive, etc, etc).
  3. Yeah,

I'm not backward in coming forward. I actually looked up the advertisement on the web when the dealer had me on the phone.

When I told him about the advertisment the salesman tried to tell me I was mistaken. Anyway I won't waste time with them. I'm just trying to find a decent dealer. It's more about finding one that seems trustworthy.

I'll let the people that run the website know as well.

4. Hi Rob, sounds like the dealer is at fault here not the website that referred them.

On the flipside, if it took a week for someone to get back to you, it may not be as efficient & well connected as they make out, but this will come with time.

Are they a new site?
  5. I tried to use the same web site to get a quote for a new bike (I'm currently looking around for one) and put in the details explaining who I was, how I could be contacted and what brand and model I was looking for (A Moto Guzzi Norge GT).

I still haven't been contacted by any dealers after some 4 weeks but I did get an email from the web site expressing their hope that I'd had a satisfactory experience with their web site.

The whole process was a total waste of time.
  6. Discountnewcars may also be seen as a waste. I bought a new Liberty (about $1,600 off rrp) last April and tried the site as well. The best price from the site was $500 higher than what I bought it for. Had I been bothered to haggle then I may have got $700 better than the site. I had someone contact me two days after my initial form fill out on the site so I think that was prompt enough.

The way I bought the car was to turn up to a couple of dealers and tell them I'm ready to buy now, ask them what they can do, let them know what I'd be happy with and see what happens. If you're happy with their response then go ahead. Otherwise, go elsewhere if you can.

When I bought the bike last week, I rang around and asked for the best price. The dealer I bought from matched a best price and delivered on the day I requested. I still would have bought it if he wouldn't have offered lower than his best price purely since he could deliver on the day I wanted. I ordered and paid the deposit over the phone for the bike.

Buying towards the end of the month can pay dividends but sometimes won't. When I bought the car, my local dealer had made plenty of sales so wouldn't budge on price. I went a further 15 km down the road and they did budge. The negotiation process lasted less than 5 minutes (with their obligatory time wasted with the "I have to ask the boss" response).
  7. here is the heads up
    discount new bikes is bike sales .com
    it is their way of extracting money from the dealers by using 1970 sales techniques best price ra ra ra.
    use it for info build a repore with your local dealer if they are willing.
    you might be surprised just how fruitful knowing the boys and girls at a dealership personally rather than over the internet or phone is :grin:
  8. godd call

nice call quick blat; if people are right in front of you and they know you are serious then your chances of securing a great deal are much higher, internet shopping is not gonna get you the deal of your life.

I liked the sight only because it gave me a look at the latest bikes' sticker price. Starting money is great to know when you're weighing up the options imo.
  9. As a car dealer, I loathe discount new cars - each lead costs money, and the leads are people just looking for a price to compare - not looking for a price to buy. And I pay for every lead - quality notwithstanding. 10 leads to get one genuine buyer = 10 payments to the broker. And the customer ends up paying for it, added to the cost of the car.

Look at it this way - If I have to pay a third party a 'commission' for referring you, I can only offer less discount to you. Same bucket of money - but either the dealer keeps less (profit) or the customer pays more (higher price). the brokers fee goes onto the cost.

In the current economic climate - it is tough to be a parasitical broker. No one loves you.

Advice given by others is correct - introduce yourself to the local dealer - and give him a reason to 'value' the relationship vis a vis price.
  10. Interesting thoughts, Peter.
  11. Peter I have followed this advice over the years mainly for new or newer cars. Once a dealer understands that you will get your car serviced there and get a car for the missus etc etc you tend to get a good price and service. I also talk about ties have in the local community, this is also a winner.

Give the dealer a reason to offer you a good package, they are not stupid and understand that a good customer is one who continues to buy over a period of time. If they are not this smart, move on.
  12. The trouble is, without a third party broker, car yards rarely offer any real discount. Unless you have been shopping around and sort of figured out what a realistic "best" price is and negotiate from there, no dealer would knock 10% off straightaway just because you are such a wonderful customer.

For someone who do not want to waste their precious Sundays in car yards, going through a broker does save money, even though the price will not be the lowest, consider the time saved.

However, for someone who enjoy the "shopping experience", the best is to find out all the facts and do your test drive elsewhere. Then go to your local dealer for the best price (at this point you must know what a realistic price is, don't say you want to pay $30k for a $40k car). Give them your credit card (for deposit) to show them you are ready to buy.

Also, work out what accessories you want before hand, if you want tint, floor mats, leather trims, etc., make them part of the deal while you still have the bargaining power. Paint protection is probably the single most profitable add-on, don't believe it when they say it increases the car's resell value.

Apparently car yards get really pissed if they find out their next door neighbour bought a brand new car from somewhere 30km away, so they can usually do better to retain local customers. What I've been told, they also get factory kickbacks for every car they sell to a local customer. So "in theory" no one can beat your local car yard, but sometimes you get arrogant sales person or moody sales manager, therefore your mileage may vary.
  13. Not necessarily! My uncle bought no less than 10 cars from the same dealership over the years (2 new cars every 3 years), all scheduled services done at the same place. He was offered $500 discount every time without any accessories throw in.

That was until I got involved, he was totally stumped when I got him a deal $4000 less (yes, $8000 less for 2 cars) and with tint, mats, and first service throw in.

Yes, they are not stupid not to take advantage of nice customers. Be nice and be screwed!

Guess where my uncle buys and services his cars now? Some dealers just take things for granted.
  14. I'm don't think that the knowledge that you'll service your car or bike at a given dealer will help you. Unless the shop's really small, the salesperson is working on the commission from that bike alone, and doesn't see a cent from the subsequent services. The salesperson might not even be there when you decide to upgrade 3 years later.

Somewhat off topic: I fail to see the advantage in paying a dealer to service bikes or cars. In my experience, dealers do not have the right incentives when servicing bikes.

Dealers often seem to pass off all the service work to the apprentice, before charging you $100ish an hour for labour, and using only oem parts. The motivation for getting the bike serviced there is typically "I bought the bike here, so I should get it serviced here as well to play it safe". Compare this to a sole-purpose mechanic, who knows that repeat business is contingent on you being happy with the work.