Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Disc Locks or alternative

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by SpaceManSpiff, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Hey,

I have just purchased my first scooter!! Bolwell VS 125, couldn't be happier. Can't wait to get out and ride it once a rather annoying arm injury heals up.

My question though is in regards to bike security. I bought a Xena XZZ6 Disc Lock Alarm (the one with the 110 decibel motion detection alarm). In theory, this is great. However, in practice it has been less than ideal.

The main problem is that the alarm tends to go off basically whenever it feels like it. I was jumping out of bed last night at 2am and 6am to find that a light breeze or some such thing had set it off. We tried putting it on in different places this morning and it went off again in about 10 minutes.

Any tips or tricks on how to place these things so they aren't quite so sensitive?

Also, what does everyone else use for security? The salesman at the scooter shop we bought it from says he hates disc locks and only uses the key lock and steering lock for his scooter. Is this sufficient? Can anyone suggest any other alternatives?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Shouldnt have bothered with an alarmed disc lock, just buy a standard kryptonite disc lock.
  3. No.

I haven't come across a steering lock yet that couldn't be broken by one, or maybe two hefty bods heaving on the bars. Modern ones might be better. I don't know because nobody's let me break their late model bike yet :grin: .

Non alarmed disc lock is probably your best bet, with a reminder cable up to the handlebar levers so you don't ride off with it in place.

My own choice is a big Abus padlock and hardened chain, preferably attaching the bike to something solid, but it's heavy and awkward to store, so it wouldn't suit everyone.
  4. I thought that the sensitivity of the Zena was 'tuneable'???
  5. Thanks for the replies.

As to the zena being 'tuneable', about the only thing I've seen is that they say to put it at the bottom of the disc (6 o'clock) if it's too sensitive. Going to give this a try over the next couple days and see how it goes.

If it doesn't work, it will be off to exchange it for a regular disc lock.
  6. I've got a VS125 and in my haste to buy a lock, bought the Xena cable which came with the XN14 for free (great price considering the price of the XN14 alone). Problem is, the XN14 doesn't fit the VS125 disc...

Solution: use the chain/cable with the XN14.

But I digress.....if the alarm keeps going off, can you take the alarm out - I don't know about your particular model but with my XN14, I can take the alarm out and turn it into a 'regular' disc lock if I want to.

I also have similar problems with the alarm, but nothing that hasn't been solved by adjusting the position of the alarm and cable.

Good luck!
  7. Were can you buy a big F*ck off hardned chain.

At the moment i got a big padlock an chain but its just a regular chain so a big pair of bolt cutters would cut it.
  8. I bought the same lock and after too many false alarms I took it back and demanded a refund. In my view they are a faulty design. One day I came home and watched it go off as I drove in the driveway - definitely no reason for that one! You could just take the batteries out, but then you've paid $30 more for what? Faulty products should cost the manufacturer, not the buyer.
  9. This outfit seems to have the updated version of the one I use. Chain spec and key appear to be the same but it looks like the lock itself is now integral.

Don't lose the keys or Abus will require your firstborn as a hostage before they'll supply a replacement. :wink:
  10. Yea ive already got a nice enough lock. Just need a uncuttable chain.