Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dirtbike armour on the road

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by jd, Mar 5, 2008.

1. For long rides I'll wear the right gear but around town I tend to just wear jeans - thinking this is something I should change. Problem is though to me Draggins and the like seem overpriced, especially since without armour they aren't going to prevent a shattered kneecap anyway.

Now I know you can get armour for Draggins but I've been thinking it would be easier (and cheaper) to just strap dirtbike knee protectors over the top of normal jeans. They're certainly cheap (30-50 bucks for a pair) but not sure how well they'd protect against impact or abrasion (though really only talking 60-80kph maximum). Is this a feasible option or am I just crazy (or both :p)?
  2. They hold up ok with those speeds. Your arse cheeks and thighs won't, and they don't make strap on armour for that area.

Ideally, use the armour under leather, save the strapping from busting (abrasion).
  3. :shock:
  4. Yeah guess that's a risk I'll have to take. Realistically I'm never going to bother fully suiting up just for a 10 minute ride to work - so looking for options to increase safety without adding any major inconvenience. Good to know they will at least do something.
  5. Abrasion risk is the big worry at those speeds, IMO draggins are a minimum. They cost a bit because they are kevlar lined. Anyways its your bum :butt: :LOL: :LOL: