Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dirt or Track Bike?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by Hypervisor, Feb 9, 2013.

1. I cannot have both, But I can have one. I'm interested in having a legal reckless time which is in a "safe environment". I was at once stage looking at go-karting or car track racing (way to expensive), bikes are much cheaper and better bang for the buck.

I'm more looking for pro's and con's about either, the one advantage I can see from Dirt is gaining a whole spectrum of skills. Any more information or experiences would be great :D

2. Once you do track days everything else seems irrelevant. Then once you do track days for a while you'll probably try racing at which point track days will become irrelevant lol
    • Like Like x 1
  3. #3 dgmeister, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
    only because of the vtr 250, i assume you are a beginner.

remember you can ride your road bike at the track, OR you can get a road trail bike that you can ride offroad (and onroad if registered)

remember both pure offroad and track bikes cannot legally be ridden on the road!!! (so obviously you must be able to transport them somehow, without riding them)

I think the biggest bang you will get for your buck will be an offroad bike, if you have somewhere to ride it. Offroad you will learn lots of skills that will come in handy on the road bike, plus it is an absolute blast. A world of adventure, all in an hour! You will learn how to crash, and more important how NOT to crash! (when it comes to bigger and better bikes)

I have a road R6, that i track, ride it to the track and home again! no trailers, utes, bullshit, etc.
    plus i use it every other day on the road.

now that i have gotten better at the track, there are definitely some skills i am using that need to be worked on as a beginner, powersliding for example!

powersliding on a trailbike is easy peasy, powersliding on tarmac is not! (anyone who says it is, shut up and go back to moto gp before you highside)

controlling a slide properly is just one reason to get an offroad bike,
    learning how to move your body around the bike,
    throttle control and timing in corners,
    how to control the bike in a low traction environment,
    easier to learn how to relax and get into 'the zone',
    learning what riding on the edge of grip feels like,
    how to prevent losing grip
    etc. etc.

basically riding offroad is like your own private track!!!
    lots of gp riders ride supermoto and MX for cross training.

basically if you are serious about tarmac track, i think it is essential to get down the basics on an offroader!!!! offroading experience will make you smoother and better when it comes to riding big roadbikes at the ragged edge, which is exactly why you go to the track remember!

but it does come down to riding areas, if you have nowhere to ride it, there is no point.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Im in the same dilemma..............ive got a track bike, a road bike, and a dirt bike. Like the OP I CAN ONLY KEEP ONE!!!.............I just did my first ever dirt riding today and had a blast, ill be going to Wakefield too to do a track day. After that ill decide on which to keep and which to sell..............

The plus side of dirt for me is 1) location of the track and areas to ride it.....2) its cheaper to do i.e. a dirt bike is cheaper and a day riding around is far cheaper than doing a similar track day at your local race track.........3) teaches you heaps about control and feel of the bike 4) I find dirt more tiring and work out more muscles.......

The plus side for track riding for me is its closer to road riding.......
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Is your Dirt Bike registered?
  6. maybe try out the track first on your current bike
  7. cant register it......................and i wont replace my ninja :p.............afterall my blood runs green :p
  8. like i said you can have the best of both,

take a road bike to the track + a dirt racer
    a road racer + a road registered trailbike for offroading!

then you never miss out!

the track is a rather extreme environment so first you should go to a few track days and see what is what.
  9. Advantage of Dirt:
    -With dirt you can go anytime, can go to a a dirt track when you want on any weekend..........circuits like Eastern Creek you have to book months in advance and theres no guarantee that your day is not rained out.
    -With dirt you can spend peanuts going to a track or free on certain off road trails........circuits like Eastern Creek would cost me $260 just on one ride day.
    -Dirt riding you have to use different muscles, have to stand up off the pegs etc, for me its tiring and tiring = good exercise...........you move around a track bike as well but nowhere near as much as a dirt bike.
    -Bike control. After doing a ride day road riding seems boring and slow. After going on dirt road riding seems stable and boring. Both can teach allot...............
    -Mates. It seems that you can have more mates go and try dirt riding..........myself and UDLOSE shared a dirt bike yesterday and only had to pay for one person instead of two. Other mates wanna go as well and a cost of a dirt bike isnt as daunting for many compared with buying a track bike.........If you want laid back, do dirt.
  10. That rules out any fast dirt bikes for a start.:whistle:
  11. I now have a dirt, road and track bike.

I'm a very experienced road rider, I'm at the low end of advanced as a track day rider and a total novice on dirt (I actually crashed Azncruiser's dirt bike yesterday LOL!!)

I'm biased towards dirt ATM because its my new toy. I mainly bought it to increase my skills for the track and as a supplement for track riding because as Mal said in Sydney track time is a premium, it's hard to book and costs a heap. I love it but riding just on the track doesn't cut it, I can't get enough hours and never will. Dirt on the other hand it's possible to scratch the itch every weekend if I want.

I'm trying really hard to cut back on road riding, I used to go out every weekend and treat the road as a racetrack as they say, but I've got in too much trouble so I try to limit those type of rides to once every couple of months.

I'd recommend starting on dirt, it'll help your skills and fitness immensely and to can clock up many more hours on it.

If your loaded with cash and live near a good track which holds bi-monthly trackdays then do that.

Whatever you choose make sure there's a solid plan for actually using and maintaining it otherwise you'll be stuck with all this expensive stuff that's collecting dust..

Have fun!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Yup your right UDLOSE, last thing youd want is to buy a bike and let it collect dust.............thats why im thinking of getting rid of the Ape and CBR taking up too much space and collecting dust, both havent been ridden for over a year. In saying that im gonna try to ride them as much as I can before I sell em............got a track day tomorrow, wanna book one in two weeks time also and also when you and Andrea do to Wakefield.

Im gonna cut back on road riding big time also................I like meeting up with peeps but I think the passion just isnt there to ride hours on hours of boring roads just to get to a few miles of fun bits.
  13. If you are handy with a spanner, get a supermotard and some 18"+21" dirt rims for it. Or get a dual sport and a supermotard setup.

One bike. Track days and dirt. And commuting. And wheelies/hooliganism.
  14. dirt is easy to have a shitload of fun, as much as possible with your pants on.
    powerslides at 90kph on gravel are pretty f uckin cool even if you are a demon, and i did that easy on a measly klx 250.

digging trenches with the front wheel in the air, catchin some air time,
    100 kph through the bush will keep you hard i guarantee it.

there is also the adventure element, crossing mountain ranges and visiting remote beaches, all in an hour on sunday arvo, you can't beat that unless you are indiana jones.

i had to get an exc 250 even though i had an R6! could not resist the dirt.

but powersliding tarmac makes morphine seem tame...

riding the big bikes HARD on the tar will require some balls and balance you can only get riding dirt.

both dirt and tar are definitely recommended dietary supplements for the serious rider!

now you just gotta choose a bike...
    • Like Like x 2
  15. You do have your way with words :D, I was thinking about a YZ125. I like the simplicity of the 2-stroke, But I have been hounded by others telling me to get a 250 that can be registered.
  16. #16 bluezx14, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    Nope that will make you very soft and squishy very quickly:ninja:
    Don't get me wrong I love the dirties but they are not very safe and are likely to cause even more hooligan tendencies when you get back on a road bike.
  17. Nah dude for me a two stroke RM125 is plenty powerful............granted im a total noob but 80 odd kilos of bike and 40ish hp, on loose surface and on a bike that fouls up the plug whenever your not at full throttle...........:) I cant see myself upgrading, I may even downgrade................

A road registered bike though does open up many more places to ride on :)...............
  18. You can always get a dirt bike with an 18" rear (pretty standard), whack on a trials rear and head out to Nepean for a flat track day. Cheap as chips and as good as a buzz as you'll get at EC or WP.

Just on the dirt bike, I'd recommend you make sure it's registered or able to be so. Otherwise you're seriously limited with your destinations since you need rego to ride state forests.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Cheers mate, That seems to be the general gist I'm getting from many people that there are only a few private places and tracks for unreg'd bikes.
  20. on a dirtbike you have to be an outlaw, no where will you be welcome ;) You must decide if you want it registered or not, then i can help you to pick a bike. A road registered bike must be a compromise.