Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dirt Bike Gloves Used for Road?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by scoobysanx, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Dirt Bike gloves, are they ok to use for road?

Or would it be the same as wearing no gloves?

They look cool and vented i was thinking of getting a pair for summer

2. Better than nothing I feel. I use them with the fingers cut out when I am on my postie run.
    Usually the fingers is the first place my dirty gloves fall apart.

3. Nope, but probably better than nothing.

The whole point of leather is protect against abrasion in a slide on the tarmac.

4. I'd only consider them if they had decently thick leather palms and some knuckle protection. Otherwise, nope.

That said, most road crashes don't involve loooooong MotoGP style slides. At low speeds you don't need much protection beyond initial ground contact and at higher speeds you'll be hitting street furniture/trees/other vehicles before abrasion resistance is really put to the test so, IMHO, for a majority of road riders, impact protection is a higher priority than an ability to slide 200m unscathed.

It does depend on individual circumstances though, with the impact-abrasion balance shifting as speeds get higher and the environment becomes less cluttered.

5. i'm going with no.
    because much of the sythetic materials, nylons used with easilly melt with friction, unlike leather.
    though leather will still give you friction burns, it won't melt into the wound