Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dirt Bike for a Chick

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Big Red, May 20, 2009.

1. Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a dirt bike for farm use and am after some recommendations of what to get. I am thinking something light and low seated so it's easy to handle but with enough grunt to go up some fairly steep hills.

My road bike is a Honda and it's been great - not sure what brand is good for a trail bike though?

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should look for?

2. Something like a Honda CRF150 (the new ones are grouse) will be non threatening enough to start off with, and you can still jump an 80ft double on it later when you're a champ. Especially good if you're an average/smaller sized chick.
  3. Sounds cool - thanks!
  4. Could always be a little different and go for a trials bike.
  5. KTMs are always reliable, but that's only if you can afford them. We have an EXC250 (2 stroke) and an EXC400 (4 stroke).

Although, they are a big high. I'm 5'11" and on the 400 have to use tippy toes to touch the ground, the 250 I can just go flat foot.

If you find a Suzuki DR350, get it. I had one when I was younger and it's easy to ride and very forgiving, but hard to find nowadays :) The DRZ-400 however is pretty good as well, as it was pretty much a replacement for the 350 I believe.

Honda XR250 has always been a favourite of mine. Common, cheap, reliable, and if you do something stupid or parts break, always cheap to fix. Don't know how tall you are, but when I was 15, at about 5'5" I had no problem with the height.

Granted, if the bike is intended more for a Farm runaround than fun, might as well see if you can find an AG bike or something.
  6. Hi guys,

Well I've looked at a few bikes now and it's between a Honda CRF 150 or a CRF 230. The 150 allows me to have both feet flat to the ground where the 230 only allows the front half of my foot to touch the ground. Other than that, they both felt comfortable and not too heavy (but I guess you always wish they were lighter!!!). So do I go the 150? will it have enough grunt to take on some seriously steep hills? or do I go the 230 and look at lowering it a few inches???
  7. In my opinion you don't want both feet flat on the ground with a trail bike, what you want is the most possible ground clearence (and that sort of means putting up with not having your feet flat on the ground).

Sure it might feel easier now, but you'll find it limiting sooner rather than later likely.
  8. They're both plenty low enough by the sounds of it. And don't worry about the power unless you're riding lots of sand.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 150 has more power than the 230. The 230 is more of a soft trail bike like a Yamaha TTR, whilst the 150 is a scaled down MX bike of sorts.

The 150 will be the better performing bike, or look at the crf250 if you want a bigger bike.
  9. Thanks guys!!! :)
  10. Shouldn't you be more worried about what to cook for dinner? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  11. See now I was waiting for something like that to pop up.

Don't worry about it Big Red, he's just joking around :)
  12. I'm not worrying .... in fact it inspired me to stop girling around with the choice and just put in some offers on some bikes and see what happens!!!!
    Screw the kitchen - I'm now the owner of a 2005 CRF230!!! Can't wait to take it out on the farm this weekend!!
    Thanks for all of your help guys :grin:
  13. Yamaha XT225 = Bullet proof reliability, light, low seat height, cheap and can be regoed for the occasional tarmac run commuting etc etc

edit: just saw you bought already... hope you are happy with your purchase :grin: