Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Digital video cameras

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Woodsy, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Ok,
    I want to buy a digital video camera but know SFA about them and what to look for, any information apreciated.
    What brands, features, etc, etc should i be looking at? minimum Pixels?

Solid state (hard drive or SD card) or tape (analog digital hybrid i believe??)

On a by line the latest Jaycar flyer has a small 6.6MP digital video camera for $299, is there ANY chance it's any good??

Oh and Mods i thought this was the best place for a thread like this.
  2. What do you want to use it for?
  3. i am seriously envious of cathars set-up. seriously, have a yarn with him.
  4. Well mostly just for the normal family videoing type stuff.
    Small enough to not be a pain to carry around.
    Want to be able to hook it to PC so i can burn to disk.
    Be nice if i could strap it to the tank of the bike.
    Can you get them so you can plug in a small auxilary lipstic cam?
  5. If you're after action video, then my recommendation is at least getting a camera that will record 640x480 resolution at 30 frames per second. Anything less than that is outdated.

If you're going for a solid-state camera (no moving parts, and not hard-drive either), then make sure you get a camera that records natively in MPEG4 format. On a 2GB SD card you can fit 68 minutes of 640x480x30fps DVD quality video, or ~130 minutes of 640x480x30fps VHS quality video. None of the non-MPEG4 format cameras get anything close to that recording time density, with the best of the non-MPEG4 cameras only allowing for about half of the amount of recording time. The advantage of a solid state camera like the one I have (Casio EX-S600), is that it's small enough (about half the size of a typical wallet) to slip into a pocket to be taken anywhere.

The drawback with the solid-state point-n-click cameras is that none will take an external camera source (that I'm aware of). This is about the only thing on your list that they can't do. In this case you're after a full blown digital camera recorder.

In that case, for action stuff, I'd probably steer away from the tape-based media, if only 'cos it's a pain in the butt to work with, and also because they can sometimes suffer from interference issues with shocks and vibrations that occur on a bike. Something like a hard-drive camera would be more the go then.

The better mini-hard-drive camera are pretty small. They'll do the required resolution recording, are shock resistant, will record for hours at a time on a empty disk, will take an external camera, and are about the size of an average human fist. I didn't look extensively into this format though, so I'm unable to suggest any particular models off the top of my head.
  6. You want this Camera

Just get yourself a firewire card if you havent got one, plug the cam to your PC, fire up your editing software and voila!