Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Digital Camera ???

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by morgan000, Feb 10, 2009.

1. hey guys,

I am looking to buy a digital camera and have no idea about the current models. Originally I had an Olympus 2 or 3 megapixel, cant remember but its shit itself and it cost me 500 something back in the day.

Any recommendations on whats good value for money? Looking to spend around 300 to 400 dollars, maybe a little more if its worth it. Not looking for a brand in particular because there are thousands out there.

Thanks in advance.

2. I just bought a 7 megapixel Casio Exilim EX-Z77 on eBay for 66 bucks.

You might want something a little better than that, but are you *really* gonna use 10 MP on a regular basis? Getting a little behind the curve can save you a heap on depreciation: I know whereof I speak, having spent 800 bucks on a 5 MP camera a few years ago.

So good optics, good quality, a year or two old... and for the money you have you could probably even get a DSLR.
  3. I have a Sony Cybershot slim 7.2mp point-and-shoot which I love.
    It is perfect for slipping in the pocket of the bike jacket and taking to places and parties.

It has a touch-screen display, which removes heaps of the multitude of stupid little buttons on the back; and because your shot settings are in the software - they can't be changed by accident if the buttons are moved in your pocket. Lens cover also turns the camera on, so you don't need a stylus to hit some stupid tiny power button, and it's awake and ready to snap photos in seconds [great when I was travelling, and saw something I wanted a photo of quick].

I bought it a couple of years ago for $650... I see now the NEWER model is about $250 :eek:

[edit] Here's the new model up from my camera, I don't think you'd be disappointed with it at all.
  4. Sometimes it is better to drop the megapixel count and up the image quality.
    Just because the MP is high doesn't mean that the pics wont be grainy, just big. I have this issue with my olympus u700 when the it's dark.
    If you are looking to take the camera with you when riding it would pay to have a look for a water resistant one.
  5. Digital photography is about balancing three things; file size, information about the picture, and the desired end product.
    More pixels isn't necessarily better.

Read more here..

6. If you find a camera you like, look for online reviews before buying.
    I personally like cnet.com because it gives others a chance to do their own review.
  7. I have a Cannon Ixus 90IS. I think I paid about $300. Has all the fancy features, 10MP, image stabilisation, and a big screen.
    Here's a pic I took of the new Ninja 600

8. I have a panasonic lumix TZ-3.
    It's 7.2MP, has optical image stabiliser and wide angle leica lens.
    It also has a handy 10x optical zoom.

It is a little chunky but takes great photos.
    I have seen shots of the sony cybershot and they are really good for a compact camera.

9. +1 I have the Panasonic Lumix FZ-5, a 5mp version. Top thing.

But the best bargain out there in that style of chunky SLR-ish camera is the Fuji Finepix S1000fd. For around $275 or less it offers 10mp, 12x zoom, good optics and plenty of features. Top value.

There's a new 2000fd version with a 15x zoom for under $400. Well worth a look. Fuji know their stuff.
  10. another great site for in depth reviews is

they have a really in depth review of alot of the new cameras as they were released year by year from about 3 years ago. also have owner/user comments which are handy.
  11. camera warehouse.com.au
  12. thanks for all ur help. at least i got a starting point on what to look for. ill check out the different features and looking to buy in a week or 2.

thanks again.