Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Different types of chargers.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Azamakumar, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Bike'll be out of action for a while and I've just pulled the battery out on thursday, but not before it could run completely flat. General netrider consensus is to grab a trickle charger and bob's your uncle.

Browsing through the supercheap catalogue theres a whole bunch of pulse chargers for around $40-60. From what I've been able to gather, a trickle charger just applies a slow charge at the same rate as the discharge rate of the battery, whereas a pulse charger sends a massive charge through to the battery to determine its current voltage then applies an adjusted charge.

Would I be right in assuming that the pulse charger would work as a trickle charger, and has anyone actually connected one to a bike battery for an extended period of time?
  2. [​IMG]
    Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  3. I don't think I'd use either as a battery maintainer. Use it to get the battery to near full charge then grab one of those little $30 solar maintainers and chuck it up on the shed roof. I've had one keeping a couple of spare batteries topped up for the last two years and it seems to be working well.
  4. Actually yeah +1 to Pat. We had a boat and connected a solar trickle charge to it and it seemed to stave off problems with it going flat. Not completely, but it helped. You can get dfrnt sizes of the solar panels so I'm sure you could find an appropriate one. Ours was about 40x20cm or something like that.
  5. Thanks guys, esp morbo for that gem.