Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Different kind of AUS Standards sticker - legitimate?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Kernel, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Picked up this helmet from Clipstone Yamaha in Ringwood not long ago as they were having a sale.
    I noticed this Australian standards sticker on the back (UPDATE: Better photo):

Sorry about the crap quality photo, took it with my laptop's webcam, will take a much better picture tomorrow.

Looks way too easy to peel off and stick on an imported helmet, or even make copies of.

I also noticed that there's no Australian standards sticker on the visor, so I'll definitely be taking the helmet back on this basis.

2. Can't read it, so can't comment on the helmet.

Real AS1698 stickers look easy to peal off, but are immediately destroyed if you try.
  3. There's lots of fake stickers being made for all types of goods out of China. Fridges with their star ratings is a common one. If it's a concern to you, then you need to be careful with all products.
  4. This particular sticker will not be destroyed with big "VOID" letters if you attempt to peel it off.
    Edit: Just saw that the person who made the sticker is mentioned in the article, TUV Rheinland. So I guess I'm good.
  5. There are a few bodies licensed to certify helmets, SAI Global is one & the most common on helmets here, I can't remember the others, but if you bought it from a legitimate shop you shouldn't have a problem. Sufficed to say, all their stickers are different.

Don't worry about the visor.
  6. Thanks for the advice MV. I do quite like my new helmet :D
  7. My helmets are certified by TUV Rheinland so its legit

Attached Files:

8. Yup different certifiers but still legit.......mine looks the same.
  9. I have a legit. Shark helmet that has the same sticker so am sure yours is ok too. I wouldn't worry too much about the visor.
  10. See, mine isn't holographic like that.
  11. thats up to the manufacturer - mine are holographic for security reasons so to try to avoid fakes
  12. A better picture would still help, if only for someone searching in future. I can't see any serial number on that sticker, and I thought that was a requirement. I'm not going to search to confirm that though, since based on the article that Smee linked to, nobody really knows what is required!
  13. I KNOW what is required

a serial number is not required but an approval number is
  14. The biggest issue is that those asshats at SAI global ( they are responsible for the previously outrageously high costs of certification when it was a one horse race= its still high but not astronomical as it used to be. as SAI would abuse position to get business class overseas junkets from importers/manufacturers - I know this first hand after originally speaking to them and getting a certification quote) had everyone hoodwinked for years thinking that the 5 ticks was a government endorsement or approval somehow where in fact SAI global is privatised and bought the certifying commercial arm of the business from Standards Australia many many years ago
  15. I was refering to the Police and "Standards Australia" mentioned in the linked article Smee posted.

So an Approval Number could be called an "ID" as in your example, or a "Lic[ence] No." as in the case Kernel posted.

I knew the approval and labelling process was a wrought by SAI global, but given that now a range of label formats can be used, and even the Police can't tell the difference, it seems that there is a huge opening for counterfeit labels to be provided for imported helmets. This is new information to me.

The Police aren't going to check Approval Numbers on the side of the road, and aren't going to know all the licencees, so I can't see how they could justify rejecting a helmet on the side of the road in future.

I understand all the hard work, expense, and frustration that has gone into getting your helmets approved Takamii, and the reasons why it is required, as posted in other threads. But if the law can't be enforced on the side of the road at the time of inspection, what weight does the law and the Standard now carry? The ground rules have changed.

16. external stickers mean nothing - they are not even required under the standard ( section 8 Labeling AS/NZS 1698:2006)

its the internal label sewn into the liner that is required by the standard

I have yet to find any traffic law in any state that says that the sticker must be on the outside - generally all they say is that the helmet must be approved to the standard to be legal for use on Aussie roads

The sticker is done purely for the customer / police as a courtesy or some sort of tradition that is a throw back to the closed shop SAI global days where it is now "expected" to be there

I have been advised that changes happening in regards to state by state legislation and the standard due to take effect 1st July are not as the rumors that have been spread by those hoping import a helmet from overseas