Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Different brands of Tarp / Bike cover...

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by Grunge, May 17, 2006.

1. Any differences in these? I mean, apart from the real cheap stuff compared to the expensive stuff?
    I mean... I went to 2 store and they reccomended the "Raven" brand but one said there's pretty much no difference b/t this and any other....
    Anyone has any brands to reccomend for me? I'm getting my bike sometime this weekend and it has to be stored outdoors!

2. Just put a blanket over it... I do... :LOL: Keep my baby warm at night. :?

3. Yes. But does it keep it waterproof?
    That's what I'm looking for.

4. I don't know the Raven brand - I've got RJays. There are two types, mine is the waterproof one. It is quite heavy and feels quite thick and solid, because it has a soft lining under the plastic exterior. And yes, it is perfectly waterproof.

Another thing to look for is some way of attaching the cover to the bike - in my case there are two slits that go on the sides of front wheel; I can pull a cable through them and the wheel, then put a lock on. This prevents someone from just pulling the cover off your bike and walking off with it, and believe me, if you park on the street, someone will try sooner or later! Which is probably a good reason for not spending too much money on it. RJays seem like a good compromise - they do everything I could possibly expect a cover to do, but don't cost the earth. Unfortunately I can't tell you how much - I just realised I don't remember what I actually paid for them.

5. I just use the Motopro ones from Kmart. $20 and pretty good. They are waterproof if you have some slope on the cover for the water to run off, but are probably going to let a serious downpour get partially through.
    They also roll up to almost nothing. The material wil not scratch anything either.
    The large one should fit almost anything, a large fits over the GTR, but doesn't go all the way down due to the screen. Pick up a $10 bicycle combination lock cable, have a trimmer whack two eyelets in teh cover and it's about as unstealable as a cover can get without a knife.
    Be advised though, that an aircooled engine WILL melt a hole in a cover if hot!

Regards, Andrew.

6. Good point! It is really necessary to wait at least 10-15 minutes before putting the cover on - or if you're impatient, like I am, use something to prop up the cover from the inside so it stays away from the engine...

7. We got ours from Supercheap. They are normally marked at about $40, but come on special frequently for about $20-25 and they do the job.

8. I'm with cb250goespop, and picked the lined, waterproof Rjays cover. They're listed here for $60ish:

http://www.mcas.com.au/_products.php?subcategory=34

Most covers I looked at looked like they would fall to pieces if they were left out in the weather - the Rjays one mentioned looks like it will outlast my bike.

9. My bike cover......

[IMG:800:600:8f7356f5f7]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c119/nobbynutts/odds%20n%20ends/bikecover1.jpg[/img:8f7356f5f7][/img]

10. I got one that's lined on the inside and waterproof on the outside... can't remember the brand as I bought it a while ago... it was about $60RRP but I picked it up for a lot less due to family working at bike shop :grin:

I think mine could be an RJAYS one?? definitely make sure bike has cooled down before putting it on unless you want it to melt it... :p