Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Different brand tyres front and back?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by TarmacSamurai, Jan 5, 2008.

1. I did a search, but couldn't find anything about this.

What are people's feelings on different brands of tyres on the front and back? Do you always use same brand, same model tyres? Do you mix and match? Why?

2. When I got my bike it had an Avon on the back and a Bridgestone on the front. When I replaced them I went for Bridgestones front and rear, because I had always had the same brand, and if possible the same compound, front and rear, on all other bikes I'd owned. I can't give you a technical reason; I'm just an old fusspot and like things to be neat and orderly :LOL:.

3. Makes no difference to me. Even with the same brand and compound front and rear I get completely different wear rates and require different pressures front and rear.

It just comes down to what's available as I often can't find fronts in one brand or rears in another. Even when stock levels are good (hasn't happened yet) I will be running different compounds.

The only thing I could possibly think of is if you're running a significantly harder tyre either front or rear and you end up with way more grip at one end or the other. Once you get used to it, then even that's not going to be a problem. Riding with a planted front and loose rear can be fun. :wink:

4. The issue that I have heard about when running different brand / model tyres front Vs rear is the different profile of each tyre can make for interesting handling. I'd guess that would be most evident when one is pushing hard. Personally I like to change front and rear at the same time... just because I like to :)

5. I've been riding for 34 years and always buy matched pairs, don't know
    why, never occurred to me to do it any other way.

6. There are some good reasons that tyre manufactures recommend buying tyres in pairs.

Firstly, manufactures when they design, build and test tyres do so with the view of how the front interacts with the rear.

Secondly, different tyres even from the same manufacture can have different constructions, leading to different shock absorbing characteristics and a different tyre profiles. I’ll give an example and start by looking at the Michelin Pilot Power (PP) a soft sports tyre and the Pilot Road (PR) firmer touring tyre. Let’s take a bike with PP on the front and a PR on the rear. The PP has pointer profile than the more rounded PR, having a PP on the front would make the bike turn quicker but having a PR on the rear would negate some agility. This scenario is not the end of the world and many people are happy having a softer front and a longer lasting rear for financial reasons. Problems start when you put PP on the rear and PR on the front. In this scenario the front of the bike will turn slower than rear which equates to shopping trolley handling. There is also the problem of a soft rear loading up the firmer front which may lead to a gardening expedition followed buy a 000 call if you are not careful.

Mixing tyres from different manufactures just complicates and can exacerbate the situation even further. I have tried a Bridgestone 015 on the front and a Michelin PP on the rear and it was a disaster. When the PP rear wore out I replaced it with a 015 and the matching pair factor transformed the handling of the bike. How a PR and its Bridgestone equivalent the 021 would work together I don’t know, it might very well work, but I don’t see a real need to find out.

Tyre manufactures go as far as to say that when replacing tyres replace them as a pair, so if the rear is worn you should replace the front at the same time. This is an understandable and logical statement as a putting a new front on the bike with a worn rear has the effect of lifting the front slightly and therefore detrimentally effecting handling. That’s all fine and good and well except that I don’t have the bank roll of a multinational company and I normally replace the front with every second rear I purchase.

Tyre preference as has been discussed in other threads is a personal choice. What works for me may not work for you.

7. Yep, two rear to one front is always the case for me. For financial reasons, but also because I can't bring myself to throw away something that isn't used up yet.

Tomorrow I'm getting a BT021 new rear tyre and the front tyre will stay the same. I guess when I next get a new rear tyre, I'll replace the front as well and then it'll be a matched pair. Until then I'll put up with it. If I notice anything really untoward with the unmatched tyres, I can always pop back and get the front replaced later.

I'll let you all know how it feels tomorrow!

8. TarmacSamurai what tyre have you got on the front?

9. How would people feel about a Pilot Sport on the front and a Pilot road on the rear.. seems safe enough to me but other opinions are always good

10. I've got mis-matched tyres front and rear, and it's not the greatest thing, but I think that's got more to do with the fact that the front is Pilot Power and the rear is some shitty Dunlop GPsomethingorother, rather than them being different brands.

11. I'm currently running a Sport on the front with a power on the rear. It feels fine to me.
    All though I was power sliding out of some of the 45k corners on the Tathra – Bermagui road yesterday. :eek:

12. [-X [-X [-X

dont you hurt MY road! :LOL:

13. Have you been ther in the last two weeks? Full of bloody cagers :evil: :evil:
    Still fun though and closer than Imlay road :grin:

14. The other thing that I like to keep in mind is the fact that out of my whole setup, the weakest link is still me.

I just bought 6 rears today as I got them nice and cheap. I'll see what fronts I can get my hands on, and here's to hoping that my mismatched tyres aren't at the root of my inability to ride lap records. :LOL: Jeez, on second thoughts, I wish that's all it was.

15. Pilot sports haven't been around for several years... that would be getting to be a hardish tyre with age now, but it's a stickier tyre than the rear, which is the right order of things.

+1 Cam - I think he covered the issues well.

For the record, I have a PP front and a PR 2CT rear - and if I'm not "clear" with my steering input and stay on the input, the bike has a tendency to want to run a little wide... this was not the case when I was running PP front and rear... putting a PR rear was a financial decision.

16. i run a pilot road 2 (2ct) front and a pilot road on the rear. the main difference i find is that the rear takes more effort to get warm and keep warm. and the rear will be less tolerant to a sustained flogging. ie after 20kms of constant twisties she will get bitchy and temperemantal and definately requires more input to control the slipping about when tipping in hard. the upside is that the rear has lasted me 14000kms. shes getting abit shagged now but. i can definately reccomend the pilot road 2s.
    imo its not a bad thing at all to have a softer front compound so at least the front is generally going to be second to start slipping.

17. Wow, 14,000km out of a rear tyre. That's a fair run.

18. Is it?

I put newies (pilot sports) on at 39,500 and have now done 55,500kms.

So theres 16,000 - and ive still got a little to go till the wear marks.

Mind you, the bike is used 95% for commuting, tho I do like to give it a bit of a go off the lights etc.

19. Anyone know a good small tyre for an NSR150SP? The current tyres are made in Thailand and the rear has quite low tread - surely they aren't the originals after 30000kms? Any recommendations on a good tyre (front 90/80 - 17 46S; rear 120/80 - 17 61S)?

EDIT: Most likely going for Pilot Road 2's

20. When ever you go away from original size/brand/model tyre fitment, you are always taking a chance as to whether the profile, compound & construction will suit you. Basically, changing from original tyres, you are always conducting an experiment as to whether the new tyres will suit you.

Putting on a matched set will NOT guarantee perfect steering or handling, time & experince will tell you what you want to look for in a front and rear tyre. I have found, with many customers over the years, that what works for one person does not always work for another, especially if the tyre fitment is to different model bikes.

In the past, on the race track, I have always prefered a Dunlop front slick due to its shape, giving a larger contact patch when cranked. And a rear Michelin for a more supple carcass giving increased traction due to the carcass being able to deform and give a larger contact patch and hence more traction.

There are no hard & fast rules when it comes tyre selection, the only way to learn is to 'suck it and see', it's an expensive way to go about but that's life, tell me about it.