Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Different bikes and cornering

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by suave-1, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Hello everyone, I'm a Newb and this is my first post. As most other Newbs, I am grateful for the wealth of info the users on this forum provide, and hope that I can share my own riding experiences with you all in the future.

To the point now...

I ride a 95' Suzuki Across. I'm stilling trying to find out about setting the pre-load and adjusting any other adjustment settings the bike may have. I've been riding for about three weeks now and believe I've settled in nicely with the bike however (and there always is!) I'm finding it difficult to corner on this bike, it has brand new Bridgestone Battlax OEM tires.

The reason why I say this is not a technique issue (whatever technique I have is still debatable). I recently rode my friends 88' Honda CBR 250 on the same bit of road and I felt like I could take any corner without issue!

The difference was immense, largely the ability to lean-in to corners. I felt entirely confident with his bike which I had never used before, while mine felt like it was going to give way! WHY??? I did notice that his suspension is a bit stiffer and that he has directional tires (not sure which).

Thanks for reading, and if anyone can supply an answer and or solution to making my bike handle better, I'd be grateful.

2. The Across is a very different bike than a CBR. I've not ridden a CBR but I have ridden a Spada and some ZZR's as well as my Across. The rear of the Across feels heavier than other bikes. To really push the Across along I need to get well forward (putting weight to the front) and get low (by-product of getting forward). I've found that moving my body mass off the seat helps as well. Using these techniques I can get the Across to corner well at even low speeds (where I felt most uncomfortable). Hope this helps.

3. X2 i also have an across and i have no problems with turns... ive also had go on a cbr and yes it is lighter to turn but all is the same.... matter of adjusting urself...

4. Have you checked you tyre pressure? If it is down it makes it harder to tip into the corner.

I've never really had any trouble getting my across to tip into corners. But try moving your body weight off the seat - it does help.

5. Sounds possible that like many 250s it may still have the same fork oil as when it left Japan (or is otherwise well past due for a change). Simplest method to check is to compress the forks then release them. If they return back to their normal position and stop then all's good - if they behave more like a pogo stick and bounce a little when they hit the top then the fork oil is stuffed (or has leaked out). Having suspension that works properly will definately improve handling, especially since it affects how the front wheel reacts to irregularities in the road mid-corner.

6. Thanks for all the quick replies, I will definetly look at shifting the weight forward. Tyre pressures are set at 29f and 33r (manu recc.) I am quite a heavy guy (115kg) so i think the suspension might be a bit soft.

Can anyone PM me on how to adjust the preload on the rear and let me know of any other adjustments i can make?

jd, i get no pogostick action, but I read somewhere that putting in a heavier fork oil stiffens the suspension which will help cornering, can you confirm this?

7. The Across has rather soft suspension.

I've had much fun bouncing towards the outside of corners on it when I had it as my learner bike.

On the rear you can adjust preload, you'll need a c-spanner for this, ideally. I reckon it should be jacked up to maximum with for your weight and its usual softness in mind. I always rode it on the default setting as I had no c-spanner, I survived. :p

Forks could use heavier fork oil or stiffer springs/or spacers. Wouldn't bother more than using heavier fork oil for what the bike is.

As a rider you can compensate for the soft suspension by standing slightly on the pegs, using your legs as extra suspension. Works really well.

8. Heavier oil will increase the dampening - whether or not that'll improve cornering or make it worse is a tricky one. I know the springs on my bike are quite small and fairly soft - not the best for 100+kph on rough roads (but then it was only designed for Japan). In my case going to heavier oil did make a significant improvement - though I did have to adjust the rear preload and rebound to compensate. If you don't know how long the fork oil's been in there then change it just to be sure - hopefully there's some Across riders here that'll be able to give you some feedback on what grade is best to use.

9. you mentioned you have new tyres; how new? maybe they're not 'scrubbed in' yet??

10. I'm ~75kg and I have my rear suspension set at the hardest setting and have had spacers and new (heavier) oil put in the front forks. I'd sugest trying the same and maybe putting a little higher PSI in the tires.

11. cant expect a tourer bike to handle like a sport bike mate.
    if anything might help is to put rear suspension to its max and hopefully it sits up higher to help you corner

12. Thanks for all the replies. I know this bike is not a CBR or similar however, it really does handle poorly. I'll attempt to adjust the suspension over the next few weeks and see how i go.

I think a mate of mine said something about scrubbing the tires... I'm not sure that they are yet.

Again, thanks for all the help.