Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Differences aside: Whatcha reckon Labour means for bikes?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Ktulu, Nov 26, 2007.

1. There is to be no discussion of the election, the Liberal party or boat people in this thread - and if you break the rule I'll come over to your house and pour curry powder on your 'special towel'. The question is simple:

How do you think the Australian Labour party's policies of tendencies will shape 2-wheeled transport?

Make it specific to your state or city if you like.

Personally [I'm in Sydney]: I think a little bit of increased industrial action by bus/train driver unions can be expected (they'll at least try it on, I reckon) - resulting in services outages and an increase in motorcycle and scooter sales as people get fed up with an already crappy system.

Increased sales volume usually means a drop in price for bikes [yay!]
    Increased newbie idiots means more bike accidents and possible hike in CTP greenslips [even though it's NOT justified! damn MRAA poofters] and insurance premiums [not so yay!].

Whatcha reckon?
  2. in real terms I don't believe teh Labor party in its curent form is very diferent from the Libs,
    I don't think either party shows any real diference to motorcycling and Motorcycle related things.
    As such i don't think from a motorcycling perspective there will be any changes for us that are direct, and even indirect changes (As you have described) i think will be limited at best.

so My View is Different names on teh doors but business as Usual.
  3. I don't see a major direct impact on us but I think that there will be a big push to develop public transport and this may lead to a reduction in the number of cars or at the least the growth of cars, this is good for the commuters amongst us.
  4. Bikes appear to be a greener alternative to cars.... smaller engines, less fuel usage (comparable vehicles, 90's commonwhore Vs 90's supersport, single occupant). Emissions are another matter again.

So with the environment as part of the agenda I think there is a possibility Labor may assist bike sales and promote bike usage. I'm not sure how, but this is my hope.
  5. Broadband!...better access to NR!
  6. hahahahahahaha :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
    oh wait you're serious!
  7. One could be forgiven for thinking that Labor would be tempted to go the Nanny State route, a la Bracks/Brumby, on road safety (read, speed limits).
    You can't rule it out (especially with wall to wall Labor governments), but I think it unlikely that the Feds will be interested in biting into that particular wormy apple. Nothing in it for them, exept to annoy part of their constituency. They aren't at the beck and call of local interest groups the way the states are. But time will tell.
    If anything, I'd say that both sides promised enough in the way of road funding to show some benefits. Widening and streamlining some major arterial routes will hopefully draw a bit of freight traffic off the alternative roads - to our advantage, maybe?
  8. LabOr ktulu, LabOr! :grin:
  9. Speaking of which, isn't it time they de-americanised that?
    Oops, sorry Ktulu, outside the bounds of this discussion...
  10. Well we've lost our motorbike friendly defence minister. I wonder if they'll scrap the free advanced motorcycle training for defence members?
  11. Re: Differences aside: Whatcha reckon Labour means for bikes

I reckon we will see more of these bike racks on buses now that Labor are in (yes they push public transport & bikes more).

Probably more funding for pushbike parking at stations and encouraging
    pushbike use as well.

*Yes I know they are pushbikes not motorbikes, but your question said 2-wheeled transport*

As for motorbikes? I doubt they will be effected much at all.
  12. Have a look at the UK site and ktulu spelt it correctly.
    Do we speak English or American here? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I know I'm OT
  13. The ALP adopted the formal name Australian Labour Party in 1908, but changed to the American spelling of Labor from 1912. While it is standard practice in Australian English to spell the word labour with a u, the Party has spelt it without one since Labor cabinet minister King O'Malley thought he would "modernise" the name at the time, due to the apparent influence of the American labour movement.

he thought it was the right thing to do at the time :LOL:
  14. Transport regulations are a state issue.

That said, with all states and now federal being Labor, we can look forward to an early increase in the GST without reference to parliament, with a consequent increase in the cost of everything related to our chosen joys......
  15. Regulations yes... but the peak industry body of the Bus Industry (the BIC) and various transport user groups and several bike associations have been (and will continue to) to lobby the federal government for federal funding and regulation that covers public transport issues.

There has been some movement on this front although the states are moving faster.

As an example I quote the recent federal funding for fitting seat belts in school buses. An area bus companies have had little success lobbying the Victorian state government with.

Bike racks on route buses (as I mentioned) earlier are another area where federal regulation has a part to play and there was some early signs that the message was getting through.

Of course the change of government will delay things as new ministers get up to speed, but it will proceed anyway I expect Paul.
  16. Knowing that these idiots will probably sign us up for some ridiculous emissions targets. It may possibly mean what some UK counterparts are suggesting, limiting the number of vehicles a person can own and register.

Also, each machine will have an emissions value, which you will pay a 'tax' on to contribute towards the kyoto joke.

So for motorcycling, the future may limit your choices, increase cost of ownership and how your taxed.

Lets hope common sense prevails. Well, worth a try! :p
  17. :bolt:
  18. While ever there are still idiots giving riders a bad name, it won't matter who is in government. Just take a look at the vid of the bloke doing the burnout in Maccas. If anyone in power sees stupidity like that, and they aren't part of the riding community, that is what comes to mind when some motorcyclist lobbyist approaches them with a problem. Because the bad things stick better in memory than the good things.

So all you "free" motorcyclists who love doing warp factor six, splitting at speed, using emergency lanes in traffic and making marginal overtakes keep it up. Then we will be sure to get just about squat done through government.
  19. Sorry greg ,

everyday cars do burnouts drive recklessly, drag race etc etc
    but do you see them posting on the forums "dont do it or they will target us " , they dont give a shit .
    As for riders , whether someone lanesplits or not makes not one Iotta of differance to legislation .
    You sit in traffic they whine you are causing congestion , you split then they whine because you are ahead of them.

None of the goverments give a ratsarse about bike riders , because "there dangerous" .
    They want everyone on public transport regardless of the efficancys of motorbikes.
    whilst these wankers in power ( any party) has the option of public transport and save on infastructure they will allways go that path , especially when they get $$ from people utilising public transport in shares and fines and tax's.

I ride , i dont really care if car drivers like the fact I split or not , i just do it, I am not going to sit for 2 hours in traffic just so i can say "i am a nice person".
    If a car moves over , i give him a thankyou wave , if he doesnt I pass him anyway .
    Truth be known , if they want to eleviate congestion in and out of the city , let bikes use emergancy lanes , with a max speed of 60kph when it is banked up .
    Not a hard law to make , but they wont because there is no benifet to them .
  20. It's hard to see it effecting much. We might see some federalisation of some state departments, but roads and public transport will be well down the list and therefore unlikely.

If they are serious about carbon trading, then bikes may become cheaper and cars dearer (to purchase and register), though I don't think it will extend that far as people as sensitive about vehicle running costs.

A national rail freight network would be great to get some of the trucks off the road.