Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

difference between import and local gpx/ninja

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by emilmh, Oct 2, 2005.

1. hi,
    Im new to the forum so im not sure if this is in the right place.

i own an imported 88 ninja 250R-II and i was wondering how it differs from the local gpx250R?
    As far as i can tell the front indicators are in a moulded pod on the import, and the rear indicators are next to the brake light (as opposed to being on stalks).
    any other differences? as i dont know all to much about bikes!

thanks
    Emil

2. I do wonder... was there also a version with twin front disks?? or em I thinking of a different bike??

3. There was, I've read that a couple of times in my travels.

Justin.

4. I've read the same thing, but I've never seen a GPX with twin discs. Not that I think there's much point adding another disc to the GPX anyway - one stops well enough, thank you. ;)

I think they are the only differences emilmh, there's also a rumour that local ones are restricted, but I've seen no evidence of this either (mine's a local one, and goes as well as any other GPX). The other difference is the local one is less likely to have it's clock wound back... :p

5. I noticed in my manual there is a couple of differences cited on paper anyway:

Australian model develops maximum kW at 12 000rpm, overseas at 11 000rpm

Australian model has different spark plugs (standard: NGK C8HA or ND U24FS-L; hotter plug: NGK C7HA or ND U22FS-L) Overseas plugs are different

And curiously, the maximum load in addition to vehicle weight the Australian model can carry is different: 155kg playing 184kg for overseas model - this may not represent any real difference though, might just be manufactuer covering itself for local legal conditions (same bike, but recommend a smaller maximum carry weight to protect itself legally in case some big bopper falls off).

6. yeah, its true about the brakes cos mine has twin front discs. Ive only had a chance to ride for about 30mins so far but they seem very touchy!
    does the local model have "twin" exhaust? (one on each side)

7. Yes, the local has a twin exhaust.

8. Would probably be more likely tyre related.

Cheers

9. hrmmmm.... so you think we're all wasting our money buying pads for the second disc when one is really sufficient to do the trick? :wink:

trust me mate, once you've used real brakes, you'll wonder how you ever got on with those pissy little things :D

10. I said it didn't make much difference to the GPX, and said nothing about other bikes. Of course it would make a difference to bigger, heavier bikes: your bike must weight in around twice as much as the GPX (138kg dry).

11. *Chortle*

270Kg+ dry for a post 1990 sports 750? I think not. Maybe close on 1.5 times the weight. From memory the ZXR750's are just shy of 200Kg dry, the ZX7R's are much the same and the GSXR750's of that era are about 5-10Kg heavier.

Also, Coconuts is right. I thought that my Spada braked hard until I rode an R6 :shock: .

12. We've been over this one before, so I'm not doing it again. Braking power isn't solely related to the brake pads and discs.

'nuff said.

13. OK, no one's said it yet, and I'm bored. (sitting in a hotel room in Kuala Lumpur).

"I thought they were all imported"

;)

14. Poor you. I can think of worse places to be. Errr, like HERE.
    :?

15. I took my GPX to my bike mechanic and he told me that a number of years ago he rebuilt a GPz250 which was virtually the same but 2-stroke air cooled. Maybe the twins were something from that bike?

16. Can still get locally delivered ones today, moike. ;)

17. I'm wondering if Moike's comment of boredom and little yellow winky face might mean he's just stirrin the pot Teny...